SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 ip addresses one nic card

I'm on a nat right now and i was wondering how you would set up two ip addresses for one nic card. I am using windows 2000 pro and when i set up my ip addresses to be what i want i cant get online even using default gateway and domain name services. is there any other way?

thanks in advanced

SitePoint Enthusiast DaveCheney's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your issue? Why do you want to change your IP ?

You are behind a nat, I'm assuming your ADSL modem or something, but you still cannot get online?

Check your DHCP settings

ipconfig /all

if that is all right ping your adsl hub, the same IP as your default gw

If that all works then you need to make sure your adsl connection is ok. Most adsl modems have a web based interface, check that the modem is online and is configured correctly.

Cheers

Dave

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your ISP only allows connections through DHCP you will not be able to set your outside IP, only your internal network ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a good router its probably got a built in DHCP server, in which case set your boxes to take ip's from it. ((As far as the ISP is concerned, its just 1 box connecting ... the router))

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DHCP works fine and allows me to connect but im using it as multiple web server. This is for my internal network. I can check my ipconfig and its exactly the same gateway and dns server as my other ones that are working but even with one ip address making it static it wont work. This problem with windows?

FreeBSD The Power to Serve silver trophy pippo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

With FreeBSD you can do it:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ual-hosts.html
    Maybe trying to search for ``network alias'' could direct in the right direction

Mr Andrea
    Former Hosting Team Advisor
    Former Advisor of '03

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your router is IP 192.168.1.1 make sure you set your webserver with IP 192.168.1.x where x is less than 254 then set up forwarding from tcp port 80 to the lan ip ....

When you say you cant connect, you sure your webserver is configured properly with the lan card etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konqest
    I'm on a nat right now and i was wondering how you would set up two ip addresses for one nic card. I am using windows 2000 pro and when i set up my ip addresses to be what i want i cant get online even using default gateway and domain name services. is there any other way?

thanks in advanced
    To answer the first question, you can put two ip addresses for a network card. You simply go into the advanced tab in the TCP/IP setup and specify more than one. I had to do it in order to allow our load balancer to send specific users to specific sites so our SSL would work.

As far as the second question, how you get online depends on your ISP. Mine sets the IP address on the cable modem, but I hide behind a linksys. In order to get other IP addresses I would have to ask for them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get online with my other computers fine through the router and I have set up two ip addresses. But after manually assigning them i cant get online with that computer sorry for any confusion.
    http://www.stupidflash.com (warning not for the week minded)