SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The redesign of our bed and breakfast site is now operational.

http://www.iloveinns.com/

Some sections (about us, innkeepers, community) have not been redone just yet. Those sections still link back to the old site.

Let me know about load times and if you find any errors.

Thanks
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good looking & attractive site! Well done.

Your color scheme is clean and sharp. Good load time as well.

Only suggestion is the spelling of the word "coming" soon on your feature page.

There is also a missing picture or broken link on the Photo Gallery slideshow for Two Meeting Street Inn (Charleston, South Carolina)...the last picture I believe.

Specs: 17", DSL, NT, 192RAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very good. Clean, easy to read, easy on the eyes and well organized. There seem to be a lot of inns covered, or at least listed. I didn't know there were so many just in my area. All-in-all, an 8 or a 9.

Now for the problems. I think your server, or one between me and your site, went down while I was visiting. For a minute or two everywhere I clicked in your site, Internet Explorer claimed it could not find the server, yet other sites would load fine. But it all came back.
    Also, in you photo gallery, the captions run off the edge of the text box. I know you can put your cursor in the text and use the arrow keys to see it all, but not everybody knows that. Might I suggest you widen the text box, or, better still, put them in a multi-line box?

My specs: P133, 40 megs RAM, Windows 95, IE 5.5, display @16-bit 800x600, cable.

Now if I want to stay at an inn somewhere, I know where to look.
    <Edited by Percipient on 02-03-2001 at 04:11 AM>
    Ed Rands

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh clean look, nice job. Just curious, why not center it? Looked a little odd at higher res all pushed over to the left. Nothing in the design would be hurt by a centered look.

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice page

Recommend center the site.

Accessability would help. Recommend using the alt= on each of the photos. Maybe a longdesc when applicable.

Around the src use the border="0" to eeliminate the 1px blue border.

Recommend adding one of those little "send this link to a friend" things.

You have one book on the page twice. .safeshopper.com Might want to see if it can be done with only one gif of the item.

The navigation falls down when trying to return from the marketing page.

There will be a bit of confusion when the visitor clicks on the wait...

I think I see. You are changing a previous page to an updated page.

It will be a wonderful page.

Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Myros why not centre it.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent design.
    One thing though, don't center it! lol...
    The right side loks very good and brings some airway to users 800 by 600 and above...

The colours can't be mroe right..for a i love inn site..hehez

Good Navigation....

All the best.

SPECs: 1024 by 768, 56K modem ( fast loading ) 32 bit
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your comments, and your time visiting the site. I know I spend a lot of time looking at a site before I review it, so thank you.

Uwajes - Corrected the spelling. I donít know what's up with that picture it loads sometimes and then other times blows up.

Percipient - We were experiencing server problems on our end at about that time. I am still working on a redesign of the gallery. I donít think Javascript will allow you to change the contents of a <textarea> box. If anybody knows, it would be helpful.

Edshuck - I am currently adding 'Tell a friend' links throughout the site where I can. I'm not sure why you have the blue border on some pictures. I did purposely leave the border on the search return because some of the usability testing I did on that showed that users weren't sure where to click so I have tried to give them as many clues as possible. The CSS file has the link color set to dark red to match the site.

Drinky, Myros, edshuck
    In regards to centering, here are my reasons for not centering the design:

1) Audience - Based on the traffic to our previous site 70% of viewers are at 800x600 or less, and would not benefit from a centered design. Unlike us designers with our settings at max res.
    2) Speed vs. Design - With a centered design I would either have to loose the background graphic and some of the color scheme by making the entire background white, or I would have to put the entire page inside a table with a white background on top of the graphic. While the first option would still load quickly I would loose a great deal of the eye pleasing colors (see above comments). The second option would increase the apparent download time for Netscape users. This is due to the fact that Netscape builds tables before displaying. Ugghh ! (I had a big problem with this on the search results because of nested tables, I made a change that reduced the number of tables and cut the display time in half.)

Lynlimz - Thanks!
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's