SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Review Please!

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I would like you to review my site at http://www.bustakartoon.com and tell me what you think of it. I spent a while developing certain things for the site like the navigation so tell me what you think!
    Thanks alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Love the nav bar.

Review following.

Please consider the following comments my own, for your consideration.

The navigation>>> is probably not needed. The nav bar looks good but does not work.

I like the play with the logo. Nice.

At the bottom of the left col there is adult content over printed by the Become a link partner.

Is there a pattern to the horizontal and verticle lines?

I like what you have done here. I am not fond of the gray font, esp the smaller font.

But it is pleasing.

peace
    <Edited by edshuck on 02-01-2001 at 11:38 PM>

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well, your site is very nice. I would agree with the previous post that the text colour is a bit hard to read. There didn't seem to much content in the pages though. Your site is navigatable in a few minutes and this can either be a good or bad thing. I think the overall design and layout are good though.

Anthony.
    Webmaster - http://www.IrishStudentNet.com
    By students, for students.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You have a very unique design.
    However, your rush into using Flash as the entire site design template is a very bad idea.

Not everyone has a flash plug-in. And while there maybe fast increasing numbers of flash users, it doesn't mean all are flash users. By using flash as a whole for your design, you are limiting your site audience by that amount of people not using flash.

The entire decision is yours.
    Another major problem is..Your current navigational sequence may be straight forward. However, adding content, and expending your site might prove to be a hassle in times to come.

Your text,as previous posts have said, requires more effort in reading. Preloading the flash might also take some time.

Some positive pointers are your effetcs for mouseover the top navigaitonal bar is cool =) Your text font-size is large, which is an advantage to people with pooer eyesight.
    All contents are displayed at a touch of a mouse button, and thats anotye advantage.

On the whole, I won't offer you a direct to-do list, but just provide you with the above thoughts and leave the decision to you.

All the best in your site.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with lynlimz on the use of flash for the whole site. However, you seem more to be doing it for the enjoyment and just because you can. Thats great.
    However, If you are concerned about attracting more visitors build an HTML page for those who dont have plugin.

-The gray font is a bit hard to read
    -Navigation is very easy to follow and I like the effects
    -Maybe you could benefit from some Back buttons. I clicked on gigacrap cartoon. My back button was disabled and the only way to get back was to enter your URL again.

Overall, good use of Flash though
    peace
    Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments, I am actually having a HTML version of it being built at the moment for people who don't have the Flash plug-in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a Relieve =)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, unique is right. It is really different. The navigation is easy and sleek, but the design might load slowly for those on slower connections and/or older browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love the navigation:

I made it chase my mouse around. Only major critism is that is loads quite slow. Fast for a flash site, but i tested on cable and 56K and found the cable was good but 56K was slow.

Also, I luv you Trash talk logo for the forums, it gives a nice effect. I don't think the blue and bright orange go quite well together and they sorrta hurt you eyes, Maybe you should use some lighter more contrasting colors.

On you links page, do the bottom about linking to us. It is extremely difficult to see the address for your banner to save. Maybe you should make it black text.

Last thing is, that because your using flash, you button link (eg popilicious) are seriously stretched. I'm not sure what you canm do aobut this but it is something to consider.

Hope this Helps

Pete

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might change the colours for the forums! The Poplicious button is stretched because I uploaded the site as a .swf, if I upload it as HTML it won't stretch because when it is saved as a swf it stretches it to "See All", you can change this to 100% while viewing it yourself by right clicking but when I upload the HTML it will be 100% size!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site.

It doesnt bother me but you might want to get text a little bit darker.
    But I like the design

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have changed all the colours of the forums, I think they look cleaner and match the site more. I was thinking about putting a preloader on it but I thought it might be too small of a filesize.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bu$ta KartOon,

I made the button for poplicious that your using. Would it help if I sent you the button in ping format?

Shane

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you relay make that one? It was my favourite out of all the Poplicious buttons! Well done!
    I'm not to sure of the term ping format... can you please explain it? Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I created the image in Fireworks which uses the ping format. Fireworks adds its own info to the regular ping format. I think that Flash 5 can import Fireworks ping files and use them as vectors like it can Freehand files.

The basic ping format is just another image type that was meant to replace gifs.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi busta,id make some of the copy black, it seems a little too grey,the nav bar at the top, what if people dont have the flash plug-in? is there a nav underneath, when i first visited the site it didnt mention there would be some flash elements,the design is quite well laid out, straight forward and easy to navigate around,ill be honest i didnt like the giacrap font, it was completely diferent to your main site is that intenional?overall really rather good.
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesnt work with Netscape using Linux
    steve@smooth1.org

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got a blank white screen.. IE said it is done loading.. i think u need a layout at least for me to review it