Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhulse View Post
    Thanks! Same to you.

See you around the forums. Cheers!

I will try to help back over here in your original post.
    THANKS!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility, wmode must be window

Quote Originally Posted by mhulse View Post
    [*]Applying a wmode of opaque (or, in some cases, transparent) is the solution.
    I assure you it is not. :> I don't mean to throw a wrench into the gears, however, setting your WMODE to transparent or opaque kills keyboard accessibility.

My situation probably applies to only a small population. However, in the Department of State, all of our distance learning courses must be 508-compliant. Therefore, if I have a course that has a dropdown menu - with a Flash object that contains interactive elements - it must be keyboard accessible. You cannot tab into a Flash object without clicking on it first unless you set the WMODE to "window."

To me, this is a bug in the Flash object. While I feel all the workaround suggested above are great, they aren't future-proof as more and more companies will ask for accessible sites. Google Video is not accessible. In Firefox, you can't tab to any part of the Flash object. In IE and Firefox, the "more>>" link shows a menu that falls behind the Flash.

.•*º draziW tnioPetiS º*•. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monomomono View Post
    I assure you it is not. :> I don't mean to throw a wrench into the gears, however, setting your WMODE to transparent or opaque kills keyboard accessibility.
    Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

IMHO, opaque/transparent wmode and swfObject is the solution (for most browsers/platforms in most situations) if you are not as concerned about keyboard accessibility issue you mention above. I say this from the standpoint of "getting the job done" and "practically speaking" and "I already built my site with a dhtml dropdown with Flash below, and I can not change the design" and "I need to make my client happy."

Additionally, it is the solution if your flash embed is not interactive or an important part of the overall design. Personally, I tend to build sites that do not use Flash as crucial/critical page elements... I say it is the solution if you want Flash to not be the top object (i.e. DHTML dropdowns on top) -- that does not mean it is the best solution or that it will not cause other problems.

I am only responding because you quoted my post... otherwise I would have kept my mouth shut.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, thank you for responding. I agree that it *is* the solution for most cases. There are some instances where I cannot get away from interactive Flash elements. Adobe has a program called Captivate that creates interactive simulations on top of screen shots, exporting (of course) to swf. By law, I have to make them accessible. And, it's not easy!

I just wanted to start an open dialogue in case there was somebody else out there that has a similar situation. Flash isn't the only object in the browser that has a layering issue. Windows Media Player also likes to be on top.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually wmode is still as bugged with swfobject.js. When your in FF/opera and using the scroll on the right side or the scroll from an iframe your flash object will most likely get inactive (In some cases it doesnt get inactive though).

But I dont know a solution for this so Im not sure what to do, im building an advertise system with flash support at the moment and cant get rid of this problem. Maybe I should just skip the wmode part. This bug is by far the most annoying bug i have come in contact with when coding...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh my god I finally found out how to break the inactive flash wmode FF bug
    On my site I have some media players and they worked perfect with wmode at first I didnt think about it but then when I was working on another thing It didnt wanna add up so I started to pick the flash video player apart to see what it was that fixed everything.

The solution:

Theres one thing that will break this (what I know of),
    under the layer you wanna be able to click on you just make a movie clip and inside that clip you make two frames. In the first frame you write: AA in the second frame you write A. This will make the flash refresh this inactive thing and you will always be able to click on the link.
    At least that worked for me, I really hope it works for you too..
    Last edited by Dennis_gull; Apr 11, 2007 at 05:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that mean, "write AA" ?!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI:

Above info also found/added-to this posting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is code for firefox

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="765" height="205" STYLE="display: block; position: absolute;
    top: 102px; right: 0px; left: 0px; z-index: 1;">
    <PARAM NAME="wmode" value="transparent">
    <param name="movie" value="home.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <embed src="home.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="765" height="205"></embed></object>

you have to add wmode="Transparent" with in the embeded src code for firefox user,

<PARAM NAME="wmode" value="transparent"> for IE users

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have been looking at a way to solve a somewhat related but somewhat different problem I have with FLASH and z-index on SAFARI on my website.

SAFARI users will immediately understand the problem by checking the below link:

=> http://www.oeff.jp/1026-Sekai-no-CM-...-in-Osaka.html

Things get even more horrible when you try scrolling the scrollable area (containing photos & FLV player)...

I initially also had the DHTML problem discussed here (try clicking on a photo), which I could solve thanks to everyone.

But I am still stuck with this other problem, which I hoped was the same, but is apparently not.

Everything works well in other browsers. Only SAFARI.

Cheers,

Coren

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have to put transparent option in param name

you have to set param name property as transparent to rid off that problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am new to this forum, I read concerns regarding Flash and Div overlapping.

here is the solution.

SWFObject: Javascript Flash Player detection and embed script

you can download the script file form the below mention location.
    http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

only thing youhave to keep in mind is wmode= opaque.

see live example http://www.systemsltd.com/

Thanks
    Farhan Parpia
    IM fparpia@hotmail.com
    email fparpia@webtoseo.com
    www.webtoseo.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for mozilla use this

<embed src="home.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="765" height="205" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya the mozilla thing worked. I use mozilla most of the time. Thanks for the tip sivabarik.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sivabarik View Post
    for mozilla use this

<embed src="home.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="765" height="205" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
    I have got a flyout menu that flies out over a flash banner.
    I'm having the problem of content from the flash cutting through my flyout menu.
    In Dreamweaver I have added wmode="transparent" to the embed tag
    when I test in Firefox (on a Mac) and look at the code in Firebug I don't see that attribute, whan I add wmode="transparent" by hand to the code using firebug everything works fine.

I have checked and double checked the code in Dreamweaver and the wmode="transparent" is definitely there in the Embed tag but isn't there when I check the code in Firebug.
    I can't work it out. Has anyone any ideas as I'm stumped!

Here's the offending project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    markthedoc,

In your AC_FL_RunContent call, add
    'wmode', 'transparent'

within the parameter list.

Hope that helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b4tch View Post
    markthedoc,

In your AC_FL_RunContent call, add
    'wmode', 'transparent'

within the parameter list.

Hope that helps
    b4tch, Thank you very much for your help sir, I'd been battling with that issue all afternoon.
    It's working a treat now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same issue guys...I've been at this for hours, tried everything I know of, but can't get this site's menu to show up over my flash banner. In looking at the AC_RunActiveContent.js file (I'm no javascript guru), I need some help integrating the 'wmode' and 'transparent'.

Here's what that looks like now:

function AC_FL_RunContent(){
    var ret =
    AC_GetArgs
    ( arguments, ".swf", "movie", "clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
    , "application/x-shockwave-flash"
    );
    AC_Generateobj(ret.objAttrs, ret.params, ret.embedAttrs);
    }

I also read somewhere that my Scripts file needs to be in my www root directory...? This is a client site that I'm building in a subdirectory, so let me know if this is an issue.

Here's the site itself in case I might be doing something else wrong: www.somethingcreativeinc.com/DFS/index.asp

Your help would be much appreciated. At this point, I'd be willing to pay someone to fix this...HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bdorland,

Did my post not help?

I think the long story short is:

Use swfObject, and set a wmode of Opaque... Use transparent if you are really concerned about Safari.

Read my post from this thread.

M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue actually came down to a weird z-index issue in IE7. I was able to get the issue fixed myself for Firefox and safari, but I had to call in some expert CSS reinforcements to figure out the IE issue. I won't get into the details...It's fixed. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I am new to this forum. Though I am not a programmer or expert with HTML, I’ve always been able to figure out issues – until this one…

For the past month, I have been working on relaunching my company’s web site with a new look and feel that includes a SPRY horizontal drop-down menu (created in Dreamweaver) and flash object or movie immediately below. When previewed in Firefox (and one versions of Safari), the menus do not operate correctly (like many people posting to this thread). They disappear behind the Flash.

(I'm not allowed to post links yet (too new), so I'm hoping you can figure this out...)

24fpsproductions.com/24fps/newsiteredesignTEMP/home.html

This issue has been dogging me all week. I’ve searched everywhere online, and tried almost all of the suggested fixes – to no avail. It kind of surprised me that people have been having this issue from as early as 2004!

This forum seems to be the clearest, and most appropriate place for me to post my situation.

SPECIFICS OF MY CONFIG

- The horizontal nav is located in a div, and is populated via a library element (so we can quickly populate menu changes to all the pages).

- The flash movie is also within a div

- I work on a Mac in Dreamweaver.

- The Flash movies are usually videos, created by Flash Video Encoder

FIXES I HAVE TRIED

- Making both divs position “absolute,” and assigning appropriately-layered Z-index numbers to them. Result: No fix - the menu items still appear below the flash movie, and on some browsers, behave erratically (like not allowing one to select a sub-menu). I also tried the above with “relative” positioned divs. No help.

- Adding the wmode parameter in both the object and embed part of the flash code, and trying both “Opaque” and “Transparent” settings. (this fix is apparently outdated in favor of the swfObject fix).

- Trying both Opaque and Transparent parameters in the swfObject portion of the code. Result: the movie disappears, though you can still hear the audio, and the menus still behave as before.

FIXES I HAVE NOT YET TRIED

- Using i-frames (I’m skittish about this, as there is going to be lots of flash video on this site, and that’s even more files to manage).

HELP!

Can anyone help me with this?! We really want to solve this so we can re-launch the site. And before I consider having to redesign things around this problem, I’d like to exhaust all potential fixes.

Thanks!

Tom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive try about all of the fixes but nothing works! im kind of a novice at this whole thing and am weary about trying something too extreme....

HOWEVER, my ie half works...meaning half of the submenu shows

forum wont let me link

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdorland View Post
    My issue actually came down to a weird z-index issue in IE7. I was able to get the issue fixed myself for Firefox and safari, but I had to call in some expert CSS reinforcements to figure out the IE issue. I won't get into the details...It's fixed. Thanks!
    let me in on the secret, pleasee??? or atleast leak the css experts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Hi everybody.

I saw useful info here. I am really new for flash swf files. I just spent a week with flash learning classes. It is still difficult for me produce flash.

Is there a online free classes for flash 8 ?

bsrgds.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys, you guys put together some impressive thinking!