SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

minister of propaganda silver trophy Rynoguill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

removing and retaining inactive records from a db

hey guys, ive got another post in this forum asking about an xml question where i was trying to do what i am asking here, but now im wondering what the best way is.

i have a messages table in an app that im building with coldfusion and msaccess. basically when someone clicks to delete a message in my app it makes the message inactive (a field named active, boolean).

what i need is to be able to have a page i can set up in scheduled tasks to run every night. i need it to do a query and bring back all the inactive messages (no problem) and then i need to remove them from this db and back them up some how. im doing this to keep the db size down to improve performance.

so i thought i would do it with xml, just create a file and save it. but thats not turning out so well (mostly cause i dont know much about xml) and if i ever wanted to import these messages back in then i dont know how i would do it.

so what do you guys suggest? creating a new db that just holds backups, i wont ever use it unless i have to look up a deleted message for some reason ?(i dont see this happening very often at all). im sure you guys have had to do this or something like it before.

thanks a lot in advance guys,
    rynoguill
    Ryan Guill, AKA Mark Roman

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just have a backup db, will save you from hassle of file based XML. XML is nice when it is used as a messaging protocol but keeping data, I would prefer a db system. Though access is also file based but better then files still.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about removing the data in to a csv file, then backing that up, should be easy to re install the data and you can date the files according to the date they were extracted

minister of propaganda silver trophy Rynoguill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon4003
    How about removing the data in to a csv file, then backing that up, should be easy to re install the data and you can date the files according to the date they were extracted
    a csv, now there is a novel idea. i dont know why i didnt think of that sooner. i think that will work nicely. ill let you guys know how it goes. if it turns out to be too much trouble i think i will go with the backup database.

thanks for the ideas guys.
    rynoguill
    Ryan Guill, AKA Mark Roman