SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making A Curved Scrollbar?

For a unique graphical design, I'm looking for a way to implement a graphical Javascript scrollbar like the one here, but so that the slider was arced slightly outwards, rather than moving straight up and down. It's pretty easy to constrain a draggable object to the vertical or horizontal axis, since the dragging script can just ignore any mouse movement to either side, but making it follow an arc seems troublesome. My current theory is that I should nest some DIVs and have a wide DIV that's draggable, and constrained to the Y axis, and then a child DIV within it that moves along the X axis as a function of Y position.. ideally, though, it'd be simpler to just have a single DIV and constrain it to a path. Any ideas how this could be done?

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I've ever heard of a curved scroll bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say create a wide scroller, contained inside a div that also contains two divs with blinds that fall on top of the previous mentioned scoller. These curved images (well, the transparency edge curved... think in terms of GIF or PNG) let exactly the right amount of scroller show through. Perfect curved scroller is the result.