User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb TalkingWorld.Com, Comments Please

Hello Folks,

Please review our new discussion community TALKINGWORLD.COM - http://www.talkingworld.com.

We are still working around the site and adding new features and sections.

Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions.

Regards,

TW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post SitePoint Time Shifting

Hmm, went back a month in these threads and saw that you had no comments.

Anyway, I think your site looks nice and clean, which is good for a forum.

A few notes:

Your Shoutbox doesn't scroll very well in Mac OS X - IE 5.2.3. The scroll bars disappear when loading the page (they sometimes reappear on a refresh/resize), which makes scrolling this window difficult. Frames are frustrating like that.

Your copyline under the Talkingworld.com logo - "The world is talking! - Free discussion platform for the world and humanity." is very difficult to read. You need to increase the kerning (spacing) between the letters so they are not so squished together.

Your left column content ends fairly quickly compared to the right main column content. This is hard to get around with a column based layout, but if you can improve this it will help the page overall.

You have a lot of black type against the dark blue background at the bottom of the page - the black text is completely lost. Black type rarely works against blue backgrounds.

The site tends to run together a bit because you are using so much blue. Blue background, blue in the logo(s), blue headlines, blue background headers, blue for the links, blue in the forum, etc. Maybe a complimentary color instead of so much blue to set off parts of the page(s) a bit more?

Anyway, these issues are minor and are easily addressed.

Good luck with your site,
    Last edited by jca; Apr 9, 2004 at 21:03.
    -jca

SitePoint Enthusiast resurepus.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the layout isn't that bad, but what ruins the whole impression is the standard clipart in the huge logo...
    http://www.DesignContest.net - post your webdesign project and many designers will compete for your business. You will pay only when you get the result you are looking for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would change the entire top part of the page. Those clip-art style logs are bad, and the font used in the title is bad.

The title underneath it with the login section is useless, the visitor already knows they are at talkinworld.com.

Im not really sure what the point of your site is...there are way too many forums about general things. Needless to say, your site does have a 5/10 rating by google's smartsearch, so you must be doing somehting right. Keep up the work.
    http://www.garagepages.com - The Garage Sale Search Engine. Locate a garage sale nearest you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few comments. First, it looks pretty good overall, but it really looks like an out-of-the-box install of some three-column portal page (which I assume it is). The gradients look too much like the new vBulletin, too--you should customize your site so that it doesn't look like every other new vB forum/page out there.

Second, you need more "white space." The page is too packed with information, and it's hard to find things.

Third, the right-hand side of the globe in your header logo should blend better into the background--it looks chopped off.

Fourth, get rid of the vB favicon. No reason for that.

Fifth, get rid of the "flash enabled" button. Don't see any reason for that, either.

Sixth, your page title is ALL CAPS. I don't like it, makes it look spammy or something.

Anyway, hope my comments help. I'm not a pro, just a webmaster, so keep that in mind. Just trying to tell you what I think.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow great site. Looks professional and full of information.. but simple and easy to navigate. Good Work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned the clipart logo needs redone and the "out of the box" look is a turn off, make your own graphics! Maybe some contrasting color (orange) would be nice in there, maybe in the items on the left to call attention to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win XP Pro sp1, 56k modem, I.E6.0, Opera 7.23, 1152x864.

I like the welcome message, but you better put it before Shoutbox.The informative header also looks fine although it could be more sophisticated.

The colors are pretty monotone, and there are no pics or icons all these remind of the old days Inet. (in my subjective opinion)

The navigation is easy and comfortable. The metas are ok.
    An textual site, with not much of graphics but for an online community it may be enough.

The displaying and loading speed were good.

Best Whishes!
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people complained about the clip art-ish logos at the top, but I like them. Very crisp and clean and very descriptive of your site's content and goal. The only thing I would add is that the goal of the site seems very general. Wouldn't it be better to focus on one or two topics instead of leaving everything very general? Anyways, just some thoughts.

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree on the focus issue posted by Adam.