SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Cron News Post

Hello,

I am currently developing a content management system that creates a static page out of the dynamic page for the news item that an administrator posts.

The administrator has the option of selecting the exact minute that he wants the news item to be visible on the site. Meaning that he can post news items that are in the future.

When the time comes the dynamic page will only post items relating to the current time.

Now here is where I am having the problem. I dont know how to make the script that runs the process of making the static page from the dynamic page be invoked when the correct time has been approached.

I have heard that the cron would invoke scheduled items but I am not sure where to start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using unix/linux, you should look at the documentation for crontab.

If you have a shared hosting account, you probably won't be able to use crontab, but your host should be able to do this for you (or maybe they provide a tool which can let you do this).

I shall move this to the Server Configuration forum because that's where I think it would be suitable.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff