SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please let me know what you think.

Hello

Some of you might already know me because I have been posting here lately. I reviewed couple of website and then decided to show you my site. You always gave excellent advice to anyone who needed it so not I'm asking you for the same favor.

OK, here is the deal. First I started SearchPole as a general directory but now I have added some webmaster related resources and news. I am working hard to try to turn it into something that would be useful to any of you guys. It is only 3 weeks old so there is a LOT of work to be done but I just want to know if I'm going in the right direction.

1. Do you think the content of the site is interesting to you and other webmasters?
    2. Do you like the overall design and if not how could I improve it?
    3. As any directory I would be relying on search engines and links to provide me with traffic. I am not very good at those search engine optimization strategies so if you see anything that might hurt my ranking or something that can be done to improve it please let me know.

There is not that many articles and links in the directory yet but you are more then welcome to submit your link and any resources you want to contribute. Thank you very much for any suggestions in advance. I appreciate your help and hope that together we might turn SearchPole.com into something everyone will find useful. Take care.

Best Regards,
    Andrey
    SearchPole.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear SearchPole,

A good start. Below are my comments to your questions.

1. Not yet. maybe when you have more articles. I think if this become a site I use regularly, I would like the article section to be shown further up the page without having me to scroll down.

2. Looks quite refreshing. I particularly like the icons that you used for your top navigation. Perhaps the consistency can be carried throughout the rest of the page?

3. I did a quick search on google by typing in "searchpole". Your site came up number one. So that's pretty good. But if you want to get more aggresive than that, I guess the first thing you should do is to attrack more readers. And hopefully they keeps coming back by you providing good content.
    Sean Ho
    W3 Compliant Sites
    w3csites.com

SitePoint Enthusiast snowman2004's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, here are my thoughts...................

1. Do you think the content of the site is interesting to you and other webmasters?

I feel that webmaster articles would be better placed on a seperate webmaster's website. Search Pole is a general purpose site and the articles look out of place. Also they are far down the screen so people may miss them.

2. Do you like the overall design and if not how could I improve it?

Design is fine.

3. As any directory I would be relying on search engines and links to provide me with traffic. I am not very good at those search engine optimization strategies so if you see anything that might hurt my ranking or something that can be done to improve it please let me know.

As exchanging links is such an important part of SEO, perhaps you could give more prominance to how (and why) webmasters can/ should exchange links with you.

Good luck with the site..............

For eBay UK hints tips and inspiration visit http://www.snowysstore.co.uk
    UK home business start up ideas - http://www.bizmania.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrey, Looking at your code its a bit of a mess. You use font tags in some places then span styles to control fonts in others. I dont understand? Why not just control them all from an external css.

The google ads look else of place and so do the top top white likes. It looks as if though you had run out of room and verent originall planning to put anything in that header space.

Your logo should have a descriptive alt tag as it looks like the first thing the search engines will pick up. Otherwise the bot will have to go halfway through your code to get some sort of description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrey, Looking at your code its a bit of a mess. You use font tags in some places then span styles to control fonts in others. I dont understand? Why not just control them all from an external css.
    I am using style sheet but I am fairly new to it so it makes it a bit harder. I will definitely need to clean up that code. Thanks for pointing that out.

The google ads look else of place and so do the top top white likes. It looks as if though you had run out of room and verent originall planning to put anything in that header space.
    I am panicking with this one . I am still working on some major replacement of things around the page. Its just that I have a lot of ideas about what things to show but it is a well known fact that people don't like to scroll. I am now thinking of some kind of dhtml drop down menu or something .

Your logo should have a descriptive alt tag as it looks like the first thing the search engines will pick up. Otherwise the bot will have to go halfway through your code to get some sort of description.
    Definitely need to work on optimization. Thanks for pointing that out. I have added new stuff including that logo just today so didn't have the chance to optimize it properly. Site is very young, just over a month but I have gotten great feedback from all over the place. So many people are willing to share their knowledge and help out . It's nice to see webmasters working together to create great places online.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck, btw I just added my site to you r directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... here goes... I like your logo. Although with your color choice you've chosen (blue, green, organge) I'm more inclinded to thing "Surf" not "pole". But good use of slogan right under it. Way to use web standards. Also your top section of your site is too ad heavy. Everything bleeds together.

In regards to appealling to web developers, maybe you should spotlight a development article. For example. Split the page into two columns. On the left column put your search/directory stuff and in the right column a developers blog with feature articles.

That's my two cents. Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a stupid comment, but when I first clicked on your page, it looked like one of those portals that shows up when you go to a domain that doesn't exist. I hope you know what I'm talking about and I'm not crazy. I'm not sure how to remedy this, that's just the first impression I got - if I hadn't gone there to review it, I probably would have left immediately.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

My comments (I hope you find them constructive!):

>> 1. Do you think the content of the site is interesting to you and other
    >> webmasters?

The content that you have got could be useful to some webmasters but I think you need to change your layout (see my comments below on design).

>> 2. Do you like the overall design and if not how could I improve it?

The design & colours are fine but I think you need to change the layout somewhat. As sblum said your categories look like one of the many web directories that sit on unused domain names and I think this is offputting. I also think you should move your links from the bottom of your page to somewhere on the main page - perhaps put your categories in a list on one side of the page and you links on the other side? Your newsletter signup box should also be nearer the top so that it doesn't get missed and i'd suggest you could move your advertising plea further down so as to sound less desperate

>> 3. As any directory I would be relying on search engines and links to
    >> provide me with traffic. I am not very good at those search engine
    >> optimization strategies so if you see anything that might hurt my ranking
    >> or something that can be done to improve it please let me know.

As someone else said, your code could be cleaner - this would help you in many ways including loading times, compatibility & search engine 'friendliness'. One of the best things you can do to help your search engine rankings is to provide lots and lots of clean, good content so i'd suggest increasing the number of articles that you've got would be a good start.

I hope some of that helps & good luck with your site!

Marcus
    www.binarydrive.co.uk
    Last edited by MJH; Sep 2, 2004 at 06:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WinXp 1024x768 128kb/s I.E.6.0 Opera7.23

The loading is fast. The displaying in Opera differs from I.E., it has a white background instead of a blue one.

I'd say that putting a banner on the top is not such a good idea, a header would look much better there. I like the logo and slogan that follows it.

The content seems to be well arranged and formulated. The idea that u want to implement is useful and I?m shore that it will have lots of guests.

Speaking about trafic: You missed the meta tags on Description and Keywords.

Best Whishes!
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very usefule site but as someone already pointed out the code is a bit messy.
    Needs a clean up.

About the fonts, the text for your internal links seems to be arial but the content is not. They sure need to be the same tru the site

Overall nice layout and very quick to load

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Searchpole,

The download time of your site is normal and the navigation is good.

You can consider changing the layout a bit by putting the welcome note upfront. It is slightly odd to scroll down to find what the site is all about. Though one can guess but wouldn't upfront info be a better idea. The articles are really good, to the point and helpful. Will be looking forward to more of them.

A good resource on the net.

Cheers,
    Charu
    www.gutfeel.com - A perfect place to express what you feel!

SitePoint Enthusiast Impressions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question 1. Do you think the content of the site is interesting to you and other webmasters?

Answer: Topics don’t really seem to be aimed at “webmasters”

Question 2. Do you like the overall design and if not how could I improve it?

Answer: Over all it’s very good, might add a few images and increase the size of you top navigation bar to make it more pronounced)

Questions 3. As any directory I would be relying on search engines and links to provide me with traffic. I am not very good at those search engine optimization strategies so if you see anything that might hurt my ranking or something that can be done to improve it please let me know.

Answer: Your title starts with the name of your site and unless your “name” is really, really well known, you would be better to stick with using your most important keywords in your title. I have some more Quick SEO Tips if you are interested.