SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I believe I have met my 3 review quota :

I would like you to review my middle School's Web Site, http://www.interfall.com/Franklin.Here are the places I would like you to Check out:
    • What's New
    • Calendar
    • Administration
    • Contact Us
    • Student Handbook

Also, I would like you to check out the administration section at http://www.interfall.com/Franklin/login.asp. Sign in with the UserName 'TestUser' and the password 'Test'.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +++++++++++++++++++
    IE5.5
    24bit True Colour
    1024x768
    T1
    17" monitor
    +++++++++++++++++++

I know you are still in the developing stages of this site as is apparent from your home page and some dead links (even to the pages you asked to be reviewed) so it is difficult to give a detailed critique.
    But for what I saw here's what I have to say.

Overall the site is very easy to Navigate with the menu of text links at the top of every page exactly the same.

However, I found the placement of the link to the Student Handbook inconsistent throughout the site. In that you can reach it from most pages, but not all with no apparent reason.

Also a Title within the body of each page would be helpful for the not so internet saavy to know where they are as they navigate your site(i.e. when you click Administration, then why not put a title on the body of the page to let me know where I am.)

I think the text is to close to the borders within the main content areas. How about some cell padding here.

The text contrast is good.

I think the comment at the bottom of every page:
    (Site best viewed in 1024 x 768 Resolution with Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 5 or better.)
    is pointless. You should build the website to be as best viewed as possible by ALL browsers at at least 800x600.

Also noticed a few typos, here and there.

Overall, the site is rather plain (to me). However, it is functional.

Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi sean,

Glad to see the progress. I have recently been working on some passwords for my site and so I send along the following.

The div align=center, obviously moves the items to the visable center (horizontally), and the table tr td allow for the containment and aligning of the user id and entry box, etc.

You may like the look.

The previous review is covering some old and new points of the site. All the recommendations are really good. I always try to implement what he/she has to say.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this school have a logo or a mascot?
    I would put a picture of that up.

I am at 1280x1024 and there is a lot of empty space and vertical scrolling. Maybe decrease the table hieght.
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About what I said about the site being rather plain.

I am not sure how important it is to you, but my feelings are, if this site is for the High School Students I think they will be pretty bored.

Young people have shorter attention spans than most.
    Try to capture their imaginations a little more.

Add a "cool" image here and there. Add some "excitement" to the site, however you know how.

Soon the kids will be bragging to their friends how "cool" their schools web site is. As it stands now I think they will be picked on by their peers.

Peace
    Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

About the school colors: they are black and yellow. The administrators wanted a light-hearted, bright colored site, and are happy with the layout.

Mascot: an eagle. I'll work it into the design.

And to sadhu, on the 'imaginative' part: It's okay. You're opinions are most likely correct! But, if you saw the rest of our district, you'd throw up. I'll post the links if you'd like. They're pathetic. Imaginative is great, but i don't have time to revamp the site. My feeling: functionality first.

I am going to change the titles though..a mistake on my part, as i just plain overlooked it.

What did you mean about the student handbook / links being consistent? chances are I can explain.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression was confusion with the multiple nav links. I wasn't sure were to click at first. I really had to focus on each link to figure out if it was what I wanted to do. Suggestion: one set of nav links. I can see what you are trying to do with the quick nav bar but the location seems to confuse. Perhaps try it below the main nav.

My second comment regards the screen size of 1024x768. Last time I looked just under 25% of browsers use that screen setting. Nearly 70% are set at 800x600 or less. Something to consider.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's