SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does everyone think of using rollovers in Flash 5? I think it is the best button effect possible. Mixed with a little sound it can be very effective. As you can see http://www.bustakartoon.com uses rollovers in the navigation. What do you htink of that one and has anyone else got a rollover example to show us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well from a usability viewpoint. Rollovers are very good in that they give the user feedback about what can be done on a sight. I always recommend them.

With flash you have the ability to make anything a link to something else so using a mouseover effect can reduce any confusion when you do something a little 'non-standard' such as having a link hidden in your background or just having a page that the user 'explores' looking for something to click on. Sometimes you just don't notice the mouse icon changing to a hand.

As for the site you gave - IMHO the mouseover effect needs to be sped up a little bit. To make it more 'immediate'.

If you check out: http://www.flashresource.com/ (only thing I could think off at the moment) you will see that they have standard mouseovers on their menu topics. The response is immediate and there is no delay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care for the sound. And I have to agree with Vman on this one, it needs to be a little quicker.

Oh and welcome aboard Vman

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CryingWolf, good to be here.

Yeah - I forgot to mention the sound (DOH!)
    Sound can be quite annoying on a website. Especially if your users aren't ready for it and all of a sudden the speakers wake up everyone in the house.

Because you have a mouseover giving feedback to the user it isn't necessary to provide sound and this will just slow your site down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah tell me about it...

I was laying in bed with the laptop and nearly fell out over the sound that Busta picked Really made me jump!!!

I think he could make it work with a very small click or light sliding sound but even that is pushing it. Best just to use no sound...
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf