SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Object Detecting Netscape 6 only

Anyone know what object should be detected to get Netscape 6 only (not 4 or earlier, and not 7 or Mozilla)?

Thanks,
    Julian

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken from http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutoria...s/sniffer.html
    Code:
    Netscape 6+, Mozilla and other Gecko
        navigator.product == 'Gecko'

Netscape 6, Mozilla 0.9- and reduced Gecko
        navigator.product == 'Gecko' && !window.find

Netscape 7+, Mozilla 1+ and advanced Gecko
        navigator.product == 'Gecko' && window.find
    But if you're only interested in Netscape, and not equivalent mozilla builds, you'll probably have to look for "netscape" in the user-agent string. You'd end up with something like this:
    Code:
    var ua = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
    var ns6 = ( navigator.product == 'Gecko' && !window.find && /netscape/.test(ua) );
    Can I ask why you need to detect that specifically?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be able to include a polite note in boldfaced large red text asking the user to please consider upgrading from their horribly obsolete browser.

By the way the info. you've provided doesn't use Object Detection--it uses sniffing, which is not the technique I want to use. Thanks, though.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I'm aware of the difference, but as far as I know there is no object test to differentiate netscape builds from non-netscape builds. I understand why you might prefer object testing - but be careful of rejecting or embracing a solution simply because of its reputational baggage: just because user-agent sniffing has been misused in the past, that doesn't mean it's always the wrong approach; just because object-testing is generally more reliable and future-proof, that doesn't mean it's always the right approach.

Anyway, in my humble opinion "please upgrade your browser" messages are pointless - most people don't know what it means, and people who do know what it means will probably never see it. Better to degrade gracefully

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to pick out a particular release of a particular browser, then user-agent sniffing is probably the best way to do it.

For many (most) purposes, object detection is to be preferred, since you should operate on the basis of what a browser is capable of doing, rather than what it's called. If you want to do whizzy DHTML, or stretch the limits of [insert web technology here], then I agree you should test the support for it on the fly, rather than picking out [n] browsers to support.

But if you're specifically looking for Netscape 6.0, rather than "any browser which supports the foo.bar object but not the bar.baz() DOM method" then just hold you nose and do a bit of user-agent sniffing. It's what it's there for, and it's far less likely to kick out RareBrowser 3.75 (which will be released in 4 months time) just because of some quirk in its object support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the opinions.