SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need a dedicated server?

Hoping I can get some input on this. I know a lot of this is really basic to many people here, but it's all new to me.

First, here's why I think I may need a dedicated server: First, I'm using about 75 GB of bandwidth/month with static pages and a forum. I know there are some people using a lot more, but my 75 GB is costing me a pretty penny. Second, there have been a few times when I was trying to install some software and I need root access, which I don't have now. For example, PHPAdsNew requires some Chron Job thingy in the root Windows folder, but I cannot upload that on a shared server.

I assume I'd want a managed server, as I don't really know anything about security, patches, etc.

I should also say that I'm NOT looking for bids, as I'm pretty happy with my current host(s) and will probably stick with them, even if they're not the cheapest.

I don't know a lot about this stuff, and may end up buying a book to bone up on these things, though.

Thanks in advance for any tips, pointers, insight, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can run phpadsnew on a shared server. i'm doing it right now. you can add a cron job in cpanel. its really easy.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be a good idea. I'd suggest taking a look at your monthly income and deciding if something like $100 a month is worth it. It might even be more if you opt for a mangaged server. But the bandwidth itself might be the issue- I've had to pay penalties for going over my bandwidth limit, and it wasn't too fun (which led me to getting my own server). I think that it might be an option you should really look into- it would probably be worth it in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog
    you can run phpadsnew on a shared server. i'm doing it right now. you can add a cron job in cpanel. its really easy.
    I'm on a Windows server, and my host (crystaltech) doesn't use cpanel. The pre-installed scripts it has don't include the chron job.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely look at a dedicated server. Bandwidth rarely decreases. It only increases. If you don't know much about it you may want to try to find someone who you can rely on to admin it as the difference between managed and unmanaged can sometimes be quite significant.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good input, thanks.

Actually, a dedicated server wouldn't be that much more than I'm paying now if I switch to something like ev1servers.

I guess I'm just wondering how hard it'll be to do--I mean, is it one of those things that seems hard at first, but you can pick up much of it quickly (like HTML or CSS), or is it one of those things that'll become a part-time job?

I know it's hard to say, since it's really a personal thing, but any input would be welcome.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what level you're at now, but if you haven't done any sort of server-side maintenence, it will require a pretty decent chunk of your time for you to learn about it. You might want to hire someone to help you out, or you might want to start with a full-blown managed server. Or you might just want to get an ev1 server and ask the server gurus at SitePoint for help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, is this a stupid question? Could I use ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, MSSQL, MySQL and all those competing technologies on the same server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    I'm not sure what level you're at now, but if you haven't done any sort of server-side maintenence, it will require a pretty decent chunk of your time for you to learn about it. You might want to hire someone to help you out, or you might want to start with a full-blown managed server. Or you might just want to get an ev1 server and ask the server gurus at SitePoint for help.
    Good input, thanks.

You mean hire somebody to take care of stuff for me? I can do that? Sorry for my ignorance, but I really don't know...

I saw some recommendations for http://www.servermatrix.com/ over at vbulletin.com, and may look at them.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a Linux server you could use PHP and MySQL. ASP, .NET and MSSQL would require a Windows Server. Windows can also run PHP and MySQL though.

But the costs for Windows servers are higher.

Managing your first server is tough if you know nothing about it. First one I had I locked myself out of. You need to be wary to security concerns but not so zealous that you make a stupid mistake.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Starting to-digg-in ********* jamesxv7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we see your site and why do you have a so high bandwidth, 75 GB bandwidth/month that is huge.
    James: Ecodig - My Blog - My Gallery
    Validate your sites: CSS - HTML/XHTML
    Without faith you are lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesxv7
    Can we see your site and why do you have a so high bandwidth, 75 GB bandwidth/month that is huge.
    Huge? Not compared to many.

Ceck this link:
    www.testmagic.com

Any thoughts on the server??
    Last edited by pippo; Mar 10, 2004 at 02:33.

Starting to-digg-in ********* jamesxv7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James: Ecodig - My Blog - My Gallery
    Validate your sites: CSS - HTML/XHTML
    Without faith you are lost.