User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Utopia - 3 col float

hi all,

I just finished reading the HTML Utopia book and this is my first attempt at table-less page layout. I started with the 3 column float demo file and have 1 problem that I have yet to figure out - I have searched and read this forum for 2 days now - and I've learned and fixed a lot but this one eludes me - hoping someone can see what it is I am missing.

I only have IE6 and FireFox 0.8 to check with. IE6 seems to do exactly what I intended. The problem appears when I view in FireFox - and then only when the center content is shorter than either of the outside DIVs - FF wants to cram the footer DIV right up against the longer of the outside DIVs. I just can't figure out what to tell FireFox to make it behave. I thought the margin:20px; would do it, but it isn't, so it has to be something else.

This page looks pretty much the same in IE6 and FF.8 - http://www.mrtopia.com/index.shtml

Best Regards,
    MikeR
    Last edited by miker; Mar 10, 2004 at 09:19.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Mozilla/firebird occasionally has problems with the top margin and the problem seems to be when an element above has no border.

Adding a bottom-border to your wrapper seems to allow the margins to work.

Make the bootom border white and you won't see it. (or you could specify transparent).

Code:
    #wrapper {
      margin: 0 10px 0px 10px;border-bottom:1px solid #FFF;
      padding: 0;
    }
    Hope that helps.

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Adding a bottom-border to your wrapper seems to allow the margins to work.
    Thanks Paul - that worked like a champ!! Much more elegant than what I had just come up with - I kludged it into submission by adding an ugly   to the clear DIV.

As I said earlier, I've been reading here for a couple of days and want to say you are one of the best - thanks again.

Mike