SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible there is one already and i've just totally missed it, but I reckon a good follow up to this article would be one on customising phpBB by using hacks, altering sign-up forms and fiddling with the template system to make it a more individual setup.

I've figured out most of this stuff myself while using phpBB but a well-written guide would prove handy for a lot of people. And no i'm not volunteering myself there, been years since i've written an article for SP

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

pcbusiness
    SitePoint Community Guest
    thanks man for the easy to follwo explanation

pcbusiness
    after following your sime instructions,and my forum's up and running,i wanna add something if you don't mind..to place your own logo just go to phpBB2/templates/subSilver/images/ replacing logo_phpBB.gif with your logo
    thanks for your help again

Rednax
    This was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Busch
    What if you have a site that also is going to include a phpBB forum. also, you want the user to be logged in to take part in the forum as well as other pages outside of the forum.

How can you use the username/password information generated by phpBB on other parts of your website like a "comments" page?
    If you do a search on the forums this has been discussed many many times over. I think there might also be a hack over at phpBBHacks for this
    I have searched all over phpBBHacks as well as Sitepoint for this hack but I am having NO luck. Can someone point me in the right direction if I want the user to be logged in to take part in the forum as well as other pages outside of the forum.

Thanks
    busch

Thomas Sandberg
    Busch,

Are you referring to using your phpBB-based forum within a frame and disallowing it to gain control over the entire web-page?

You need to edit the template-file "login_body.tpl" in the template-directory "phpBB2/templates/subSilver/". Either change the specified target in the form-tag to your frame-name or simply remove the target altogether.

Good luck!

Thomas Sandberg
    Systems development consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Sandberg
    Busch,

Are you referring to using your phpBB-based forum within a frame and disallowing it to gain control over the entire web-page?

You need to edit the template-file "login_body.tpl" in the template-directory "phpBB2/templates/subSilver/". Either change the specified target in the form-tag to your frame-name or simply remove the target altogether.

Good luck!

Thomas Sandberg
    Systems development consultant
    Thanks for your info but i have chosen to use another BB.

Anonymous
    I have a problem with my language pack in PHPBB.The link is. When the hebrew language pack is installed it generates
    text in some other logical coded form (ie. special characters). I am using dreamweaver and had changed language properties to unicode, visual hebrew, windows hebrew but couldnt resolve the issue.

If anyone can help plz email me at poonam_v15@yahoo.co.in

Thanks
    Poonam

J
    i dont get it! how do i find my database hostname?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    i dont get it! how do i find my database hostname?
    It's probably 'localhost'
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Jamie
    wow. clear easy to follow. i feel like i know phpbb inside out and have a working forum. in reality i have absolutely no idea what a mysql database is, but it really doesn't matter! cheers Peter lavin, whoever you may be....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebacc
    is articlebot a real person?
    No, it is a PHP person

Bosinski
    ITs my secnd forum I just made, great site for helping out, but I have troubles with login and logout, I get a Side cant be found page, its weird anyone know how to solve this problem??

Bosinski
    OKay Now I tryed to used firefox to see if the forum works in that explorer, and I found out if I try to log in, it takes me to another forum that is on www.ghoultown.com and my forum is on another web and is not related with that forum, its weird its the first time I have trouble with the forum, I relly hope someone have a Idea what is happening at my forum

Tetsumonchi
    This looks interesting. ^_^

Anonymous
    Installation
    With all the information at hand, installation is as simple as pointing your browser towards the install.php file. If you uploaded the directory phpBB2 and its contents to the root directory of your server, the path you need is http://www.<your domain>/phpBB2/install/install.php.

Fill in the text boxes and press the Start Install button.

Where are the text boxes and start install button?

i only see this:

<?php
    /***************************************************************************
    * install.php
    * -------------------
    * begin : Tuesday, Sept 11, 2001
    * copyright : (C) 2001 The phpBB Group
    * email : support@phpbb.com
    * $Id: install.php,v 1.6.2.12 2003/05/17 17:32:25 acydburn Exp $
    ***************************************************************************/

et cetra...

Autocrat
    Sortry, grewat article and all, but I could of sworn it said.... "Build a phpBB Forum in 5 Steps".... not how to install an existing Forum!

HackedETERNITY
    Great article. I have read about it in official html document file from phpbb installation folder but this article shurely shows how pretty simple it is anyway. Salute!

Whitey - UberSkilled.com
    To the Anonymous user who posted Jan 27th, 2005 @ 4:56 AM MST:

You either don't have php installed properly on your system, or you use different extensions.

If your problem is the latter, get one of these experts here to help you :).

Otherwise, you can go to

http://au2.php.net/manual/en/install.php

and learn how to install php :).

As Peter says above, after installing just use the script:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

to check if you installed it properly :).

Hope this helped :).

/Whitey

kaspar
    good article!
    i am currently uploading the phpbb files. hope it works... I dont understand the "with-mysql" bit though... cant find it in my info.php although it says the server is Linux.

Milorad
    Article is good but you not said any thing about problems after installation, the way from just installing forum and using it is sometimes very long.

Problems on windows are in most cases related to cookies and sessions, because of IIS, and with Apache on win it is litle less problems but they are exist annyway.
    For no problem install and use unix/linux is recomended, but that require some kowing of that os ...
    I am using Windows server 2003 and tryed IIS and Apache and ... and I did not resolvet proper functioning of forum because many reasons that I can not write all here and because other many reasons I can not replace my win for linux and I write all this in hope that there is someone who can help me.

My mail is miki@wireless-media.net so if someone is willing to help ...

Lia
    This tutorial was honestly helpful enough, being that I understand my browser -can- handle php. But, apparently my server does not support FTP or even *.php files. But I am currently looking for a new one, and I think I may have it.

I really liked the information given here. It got a little too discreet every once in a while, but I managed to understand it well enough.

Thanks for writing this. :) It really helps. Especially since it's based right off the download from phpBB.com.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the missdiva's post (two posts above this one). I may have never known about this if I had not stumbled upon this article here. And he is right. It takes about 5 minutes to set the whole thing up. Awesome.
    My site

vinod
    this site is very nice ... i get more details from this site

Gabriel
    where can i download the tarball?