SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest if you want improvements that you make them yourself. It's final exams week here and I probably won't have time to work on it for weeks.

Also, "today" is just based on CURDATE() in MySQL... it's going to go off whatever time is set on the server.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smartboyinuk
    Dan,

Do keep us posted on your communications with google.

Cheers
    I have official permission from Google to use "Google Brand Features" on that website now. No more worries. Next week I'll try to update it so that it doesn't bog down on big sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good news Dan.

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    I have official permission from Google to use "Google Brand Features" on that website now. No more worries. Next week I'll try to update it so that it doesn't bog down on big sites.
    Yay my sites not even big but I`ve reached 100k entrys in one of the tables. Thank's Dan!

I`m working on a mod to pull some more stats from the tables too... Will keep ya updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Dan.. I was thinking.

To keep it from bogging down, you should make a 'stats' table, and use that with rows site | impressions | clicks this way when you just view normaly statistics it doesn't have to count thousands of rows to come up with impressions or clicks, you simply increment those ++ when the event is triggered, and also record the extra data in the other table.

This way if you don't want to know 'details' it doesn't do a HUGE query.

Just a thought.

(You could make an update.php which would count up all the rows for the sites, and set the new table up so it wouldn't start over again)

Lemme know what you think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that's necessary. Handling tens of thousands of rows isn't a problem with well-written queries, which this script currently doesn't have. It should take a fraction of a second to sum up those figures from the existing tables. The problem is that instead of proper multi-table queries I've got queries inside query loops in the PHP, which is very inefficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that's necessary. Handling tens of thousands of rows isn't a problem with well-written queries, which this script currently doesn't have. It should take a fraction of a second to sum up those figures from the existing tables. The problem is that instead of proper multi-table queries I've got queries inside query loops in the PHP, which is very inefficient.
    yeah, one of the things I've been doing is getting the queries more stream-lined. Also did some modding to make slightly better management of the setup page. split it up into seperate pages, so I can add / edit and delete sites,sections,etc.

Even though you normally wouldn't delete many sites, there may be a time when you want to. Or even to edit the site name.

After tackling everything else, I've been modding the reports page, getting it more streamlined with slightly better queries.

Main thing right now is time to finish my mods, then I was gonna fire a copy off to Dan.

Anyway, long enough post, time to go experiment on some new recipes for my cooking site.
    Roger Stringer
    DBStract - Build a database - Gather data - View it from every angle
    Other Sites: [ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger and ToddW, if you guys make some worthwhile changes and get them to me next week when I've got time to update the site again, I'll add a contributors page with links to your sites if you'd like, as well as an update log showing who's making what updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger and ToddW, if you guys make some worthwhile changes and get them to me next week when I've got time to update the site again, I'll add a contributors page with links to your sites if you'd like, as well as an update log showing who's making what updates.
    Cool, i`ll work on the mods to get them finished. Mine have to do with more detailed reporting. But yeah it tok 3.4seconds to run a query in phpmyadmin even for me.. 100k rows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. hoping to work on my mods more over the weekend.
    Got a ton of things that I'm doing at the same time (what else is new)
    Roger Stringer
    DBStract - Build a database - Gather data - View it from every angle
    Other Sites: [ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Is it also possible with this ads to track on ad-level, so you can see which ads are most often clicked (I am talking about the real adwords ads).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you click on an ad set or section or page, you see all the clicks, when they were made, and what ad was clicked on. Making a separate report showing which advertisers were clicked on most is possible... I'll remember to add that in.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, do you serve PSA ads on your page or commercial ones? I keep seeing a netsnippets.com ads. I don't mind click in though for report purpases ;-)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And do you got an donation feature? I can't find it on the site, but if you decide to include advertiser-level reporting I'll throw in some bucks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, i added a little bit that checks if there has been an identical click in the last 25 or so seconds. I will send the code once I get the first double click, which will send me an email saying it works.

edit: Ok, it works. You can download the zipped tracker.php file here: http://soccersquared.com/adsense-tracker-edited.zip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can test yourself easily. Right click on the iframe, or click on it and drag away, so that you don't actually visit the URL. The script will register the click, but Google won't.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdb003
    Ok, i added a little bit that checks if there has been an identical click in the last 25 or so seconds. I will send the code once I get the first double click, which will send me an email saying it works.

edit: Ok, it works. You can download the zipped tracker.php file here: http://soccersquared.com/adsense-tracker-edited.zip
    Your tracker almost killed my server.
    :-)

Server load 68.55. Checked Top and mysqld was reason. Removed tracker.php and everything went back to normal.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoops sorry i will fix it today

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now it should only run that query when it is a click which should make it less server killing. Sorry if this has caused any problems.

http://soccersquared.com/adsense-tracker-edited.zip
    Last edited by kdb003; Mar 17, 2004 at 17:02.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to awaken this thread.
    Before I go ahead and start messing around with this script, I was wondering how it has been performing over the last few months for everyone. Has it proven itself to be time tested?
    I also have some questions.
    My websites have a javascript being called from just above the </body> tag, it's for a hit counter service that I happen to run.
    So I can easily add this code to the js thats being called from all the pages on my network, and in theory, it would be below the ads in the final output, because it's way at the bottom of the page. That's a good way to run it, right?
    What about the pages that don't have the adsense ads but do have the counter js being called, no problems there, right? (In terms of bogging things down)
    I really want to make sure that I'm not about to bog down my server by launching this code. I read that Dan isn't happy with the code having a section that is inefficient. So that brings me to my next question, has this been ironed out?

Have any of the mods that were being created been incorporated yet?
    Dan, if you have time to reply, that would be great. This script would help me out considerably as I do quite a bit with adsense. I really want to make sure that when I deploy it, that it will be the best, most up to date, time tested, bug free, and efficient code that it possibly could be.
    Thanks for the replies, in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The software started to crawl for me after a certain period of time. This varies on a lot of things such as how many sites you are recording stats for, how much power your server has to offer etc.. This software records a great deal of information.. And was awesome to use.

However with Channels now in adsense I find the software not useful anymore unless you work on it yourself to make it do something specific for you.

The software does work great though - but keep in mind it records a LOT of data and db size can increase QUICKLY!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this thread really shouldn't have been resurrected since you can no longer download the free script. You might be able to find an SP person to send you an old copy, but I sold my rights to distribute it as the demand for the script had really died long ago.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh OK, Dan.
    I did say I hadn't messed with it, so I was unaware that it wasn't available to the GenPub anymore.