User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockNRollPig
    Did you password protect the directory that "tracker.php" is in?
    I'm talking about real adsense reports.

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xper
    I'm talking about real adsense reports.
    Dan's script has nothing to do with Google not updating their stats very often. His script doesn't touch the Adsense code.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, i was just wondering.

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can I get it to only record pages with clicks, I have a lot of forums and its going to kill my tracker db
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delete the last two lines of the javascript and it won't track views anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

Do keep us posted on your communications with google.

Cheers

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Google (non-spider) people browsing the site today... hopefully reviewing the request I faxed them on Saturday. I'd like to get a yea or nay on their approval of running the site; the last thing I want is a cease-and-desist order with threats of any type.

Oddly enough, I had two people on tide##.microsoft.com browsing the site. That looks like a corporate hostname. Neat.

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well being as you are providing a free service that adds value to their program I would hope they would give it the Ok. At worst maybe you'd have to change the domain name to remove their trademark.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this today also. It appears new as well, having no archive.org entries or PR. An alternative to my script if you use ASP and Access it seems:

http://www.adsense-monitor.com

They are even running paid adsense ads on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamb
    Well being as you are providing a free service that adds value to their program I would hope they would give it the Ok. At worst maybe you'd have to change the domain name to remove their trademark.
    This does not add value to their program !!

It helps publishers to know more stats about their program than they would like us to know !!

We all very well know that they could easily put in the best stats they like into adsense - they are way more capable than such simple tasks. But there are several reasons why its not been done upto now. Its not a technical decision - its a financial decision - its a strategic decision.

Now we need to see whether they are a bully or not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree. Google still contends it will be offering much better reporting in the near future, but won't give a date. Providing real tracking will bring in bigger clients that don't have time to waste on advertising income they can't track, and will help those who use AdSense to refine their placement to provide the maximum traffic to advertisers.

If you haven't noticed, Google has stepped up its advertising of the AdSense program to sites and newsletters read by larger businesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still feel, they dont want webmasters to fine tune the placement just as yet. I guess they want it to run its natural course without much interference from webmasters.

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smartboyinuk I disagree. Some publishers with a lot of sites just won't tolerate the lack of reporting by site, and at least this gives those who really want/need it an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone notice reporting discrepencies with the tool stats and google stats? according to the tool I am majorly getting ripped off by google
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dethfire
    anyone notice reporting discrepencies with the tool stats and google stats? according to the tool I am majorly getting ripped off by google
    Yeah, but does google count non-profits as clicks?

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dethfire
    Well from my testing the tool tends to overcount. If you actually look at the clicks and times you'll find some problems. I've noticed that a lot of times it shows up to 3 clicks on one ad within a couple of seconds from the same page (usually from low traffic subpages). I even found on case where it showed 17 clicks on the same ad from the same subpage within 9 seconds (at 3 am which is way off peak).

I'm sure Google probably undercounts too, so it's probably somewhere in between.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my number of click reported by google is actually 10% of what i got using that script.......

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tool counts these that google doesnt :

1) right clicks?
    2) multiple clicks
    3) clicks from fraud marked IPs
    4) other clicks marked as fraud (im sure google has very strict guidelines)

there are NO fraud controls with the script. bear that in mind before saying google is "ripping you off"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steb
    the tool counts these that google doesnt :

1) right clicks?
    2) multiple clicks
    3) clicks from fraud marked IPs
    4) other clicks marked as fraud (im sure google has very strict guidelines)

there are NO fraud controls with the script. bear that in mind before saying google is "ripping you off"

And I think Dan said the script counts when you click on the 'ads by google' link too.

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but even with those little things I think the script is over reporting. It shows one of my sites at about 7% CTR which is waaaay too high. When you look at the clicks it's showing tons of clicks on the same ad from the same page at almost the same time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could modify it to only record if another entry didn't exist in the last 5 seconds or something. That would fix any problems with the onFocus event of the iframe triggering multiple times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamb
    smartboyinuk I disagree. Some publishers with a lot of sites just won't tolerate the lack of reporting by site, and at least this gives those who really want/need it an option.
    Oh I fully agree with you that this tool is of a great help to publishers. What I meant that Google may not necessarily appreciate (although they may not say it cus they dont want to look like a bully) and this tool may not really help google - it will help publishers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google gets paid per click. Helping publishers generate more clicks gets Google paid more money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Google gets paid per click. Helping publishers generate more clicks gets Google paid more money.
    According to this theory, Google should have provided us with the best reporting tools than any other ad network out there. But they haven't done so. Why? I am not doubting their technical ability to provide the best reporting tools - but I feel that this is a strategic decision rather than a technical one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dan, working on a new version?

After not even a month of usage the scripts slowed to a crawl due to the number of records created..

Hell, even if we could just click on a site, and select a date/range to view which ADS were clicked that day would be nice.. now when I try this it just sets it back to "today" which for some reason stays longer, like now it's 3am and it's still "today" the 14th instead of 15th.

Let me know if you plan to release anymore or what's up.. So I know what to do from here.