User Tag List

Thread: Review my site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Could you review http://www.templeoftech.com?

Thanks!

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome

the code on the home page.

<table width="100%" border="0" height="100%" bordercolor="gray" cellspacing="0" align="center" valign="middle">

valign is an unrecognized attribute for the table tag.

lack of use of alt in img tags. alt tags are considered a required tag in html 4.0 and later.

Grammar comment:

Have several people read your text prior to posting. They should look for grammar errors as shown below.

MidnightCafe have posted a review of the Asus A7M266. Read the review here.

MidnightCafe has posted a review of the Asus A7M266. Read the review here.

I am not really fond of the "here" method of providing a link. I sometimes use it when in a real rush. But when possible I avoid it and would recommend the same for others. Perhaps the link

MidnightCafe have posted a review of the Asus A7M266. Read the review here.

could use the review of the Asus A7M266 as the hot link.

Black bgs are not a favorite of mine but you have provided, for the most part, a very readable site. Nice selection of text and header bg.

Add a refer this site, thing to make reference to friends easy.

Add a print ready to the article pages. This will cut off all the right, left and top and just print the article.

Thanks for sharing.

peace

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks really good. I like the colour scheme and navigation is simple. There is some really good content, too, but I would make sure that lots of people read over it. There is a lot of vertical scrolling, maybe divide it onto seperate pages? Besides that it looks great! Nice job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Advertise 468x60" banner at the very bottom is pointless if it doesn't link to an advertising page or at least an e-mail address. Do something about that.

I think you need another color - I think it would look good to have the background behind your menu bar at the left another color to set apart it from the rest of the black site. Good start, though!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***** SPECS *****
    Browser: IE 5.5
    Connection: 640k/640k DSL
    Monitor: 17" @ 800x600 True Color
    ***** SPECS *****

First off, the logo needs some help. Sure, it works but it's not very eye appealing. If you don't already have a graphics program, you should look into getting Paint Shop Pro, or Adobe Photoshop if you can afford it. Even The Gimp would be good (and free). You could even ask somewhere here in the Barter/Trade Forum to design something for you.

Secondly, I think it would look better if you uncentered the left side menu and added some type of bullet. Right now it looks really unorganized.

Thirdly, the main content area of the page is really long. Most people won't read any of it once they see how long it is. You should consider a better way of organizing the text. Maybe starting an archive, and then only displaying 5-7 news articles at a time, and making each one more seperate looking.

Fourthly, you should look around the net a bit and take in some of the layouts people use. I don't really like the layout you're using. Maybe making the logo smaller and moving it up to the top left would be better.

Overall I don't like it too much and I think you should rethink the overall design and organization of the site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the design too much. (It brings back memories of the old BBS days!). I guess it does need more work on the frontend. Perhaps you could get a trade in these forums?

I like the articles though. Again, as mentioned, it needs to be a little more attractive and easier to read through. Perhaps you can add pictures, links, tables etc. Something more than plain text.

Your content seems to be good, but you need to pay just as much attention to the design.

Regards,
    Arpith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, if you don't want to hear brutal honesty then skip this post.

First of all, you need to get organized. There is way too much content on the first page - the main page of a site should never be more than two pages in length. Chop off your updates at some point and put the older stuff on another page if you think people might want to read it.

You've also got way too many headers on the front page. Your front page should highlight some of your more interesting and newest content, but not too much of it. Your visitors need to know where to focus. With so much stuff on the front page it's really hard to figure out what to look at.

Now for the logo - that is just not good. It doesn't coordinate with the rest of your design, it looks a little fuzzy and it is totally not unique in any way. Try again. Oh, and I didn't know that that was your logo when I first saw it. I usually don't think to look for logos there. It's more of a spot for ad banners.

Colour scheme - did you think about it before you started? Or do you actually think these colours look good together? The front page isn't bad with black and two blues and green. Then on the rest of the pages you've got peach headings (barf) and grey. Too many colours.

Navbars - not too bad but they seem to be a little disorganized. Left align the left side one instead of centering it. Something needs to be done to make it stand out more.

Overall, more visual organization is needed.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ++++++++++++++++
    specs:
    NS4.75
    17 inch monitor
    24 bit colour
    ++++++++++++++++++

->Content is good. You have lots of it and its interesting (to me at least)
    ->Your home Page is way to long
    ->Colour scheme does not really appeal to me. try adding another colour
    ->Although you don't state it specifically. Your home page seems to answer the two most important questions any websurfer asks when they first visit a site: Where am I? What will this site do for me?
    ->Why did you decide to use a different font on the left hand navigation (i.e. about this site, advertise, contact us etc)?
    ->Something has to be done about those advertising logos
    ->Good to see you have the join newsletter prominently displayed on home page

Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

SitePoint Enthusiast einstien_ii's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Hawker,

Well, I must appreciate you for the job well done. However, there's always room for improvement.

I must first agree with Arpith as the site site really relives those BBS years.

I think you must now align with the present web trend and design fashions so as to present a fashionable and an appealing site design. Though, the content is excellent, believe me, 45% of the users would only want to revisit if they are satisfied with the site's design.

So, I suggest that you first better color scheme. I will not necessarily suggest Photo Editing Tools as of moment. You can still present a better site that has a huge content with less graphics. But I suggest that you work with more tables and CSS would just be the right solution to your site.

Anyway practice to perfect.

Great Start, though!

Krishna Narayanan
    einstien_ii@zeenext.com
    http://www.talofians.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another point I have:
    I think it was already mentioned, but your logo seems more like a banner to me. Also you have that space for a banner on the top left of your page (advertise 120x60) that could easily be confused for your logo when and if you place an ad here.

Also, with regards, to your newsletter, It would certainly assure me a lot more and I may even join if I saw an privacy policy by the sign up box. Make sure you let the user know how to unsubscribe from future mailings if need be.

I said before, your content is great! And that is what will ultimately keep users returning.
    However your stage still needs some refining.
    More later if I think of it.

Its 420 now. I've got to go.
    Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great feedback!

I'm currently redesigning the site(and dividing it into smaller sub sites. It is easier to get advertisers when the content is more focused).

I'll try to get the new design up tomorrow. I'll let you all know when it's ready.

Once again: Thanks!

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have uploaded a new design to http://www.templeoftech.com/test/Let me know what you think about it!Thanks!
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Enthusiast einstien_ii's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey! hawker, the site is a lot better! I like the way you formatted those tables with those backgrounds and also the new menu seems to be professional.however, I might still want to ask you to cut down your page length! It is way too long!but, if you feel its necessary to have it all in the same page then go ahead!

Krishna Narayanan
    einstien_ii@zeenext.com
    http://www.talofians.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'd say that v2 is better... still not my style (yea, I got some) but a definite improvement over v1. Here's are a few things you should consider:-> pad them tables!! (4 sould be nice)-> maybe you could change the hover color on links? please? (maybe a shade of that blue)-> would you consider changing the black backgound? (I dunno... dark grey even?)-> kill that logo... seems kinda scrunched in there... maybe different type, axe the brushed metal.:the mad hombre:.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and also:-> that top nav is riding rather close to that left column (flush it w/stuff below)-> center content of top nav-> change screws to talking robotic headscheers!.:the blue rangoon:.