SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best things you can do for your website and visitors is to have a newsletter. They work great. You can sell advertisements, and keep the visitors coming back and enjoying their time at your website.

The only problem is GETTING subscribers.

I have thought of a way that would take a little bit of work, but if it works out, it would be worth it. Get a site with a similar site as yours (not competitors!) and ask them to put your newsletter subscribtion form next to theirs, and in return, you can put theirs on yours.

I am talking to some one through e-mail right now, and we might do this. I think it would be great for getting more subscribers!
    <Edited by Silverado4x4 on 01-28-2001 at 08:59 AM>

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, but a few suggestions (I've thought of this before too, supprised no one really uses it ):

Instead of just placing two forms, make it so that when they go to subscribe to one, a little page pops up. One this page ask them if they would like to subscribe to your partners newsletter. Give them a description of it, and have the checkbox for yes checked by default. When the form is submitted, it will not only subscribe them to your newsletter, but depending upon if they unchecked the partners box, they would be subscribed to theirs as well, and vice versa for the other site.

Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought about that way too. The only problem is, you would probably have to use CGI to subscribe someone to the list, or unless there's a javascript...

Anyone know of one?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There currently isn'y a system arround, as far as I am aware. However, it is on my "to-do list," but I doubt you want to wait around for me to do it.

Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one of my secret's to success... if you have any forms on your site, put a "May we add you to our newsletter?" option on every one. Make "newsletter" link to your newsletter page for more information (you do have one, right?). Then, you can add new subscribers who give you permission. And also, make sure to include archives of your newsletter for onlookers. For how I do it, go to: http://www.sports-central.org/features/newsletter

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that you should gice your visitors the utmost opportunites to subscribe, what I don't agree with is ticking boxes by default. Check out http://www.useit.com for examples of sneaky practices in design. Users are getting more intelligent every day and tricking them only angers them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    I agree that you should gice your visitors the utmost opportunites to subscribe, what I don't agree with is ticking boxes by default. Check out http://www.useit.com for examples of sneaky practices in design. Users are getting more intelligent every day and tricking them only angers them.
    I completely agree and I wasn't recommending that. The field is unchecked, if they check it, I subscribe them.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then your suggestion sounds like a good one, I apologise if I misunderstood you!