SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently run an entertainment and technolgy portal. [Digiverse Online -http://www.digiverse.net] The main aspect of the site deals with entertainment reviews (TV, Movies and Games) that I update several times a week. I plan to spend some money promoting this site in the next few weeks, but when I tried search engines like Goto and Findwhat...they didn't seem to have any paid-listings that match the search terms I would most likely use for my site.

Should I use these PPC services to have the top/only listing on their page or should I pay to get my site listed on other databases, like Yahoo or Looksmart, that are used by PPC when no pay reults are available. (That way I would be in regular directories while being seen when anyone uses one of the PPC search engines)

I often hear people talking about how they get hundreds of hits daily from engines like Yahoo? Would it make more sense to pay a one time fee so that I will get steady traffic compared to a PPC that will only send traffic if I can spend the cash?

I know these are alot of questions and I hope it doesn't seem too similar to any other threads posted on this board. I have read other threads about the pros and cons about PPC and search directories, but I have a limitted budget and I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

The URL for my site is http://www.digiverse.net

<Edited by vector_matrix on 01-27-2001 at 10:23 PM>

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPC programs have a lot of pros and cons. Try making a search on the forums. You'll find a lot of threads regarding PPC. But, If you want to spend your money wisely then DO NOT pay to get listed in Yahoo! or Looksmart. Paying the $200 fee only makes editors to review your site within one/two weeks after your payment but that doesn't guarantee you're goning to get listed. Besides, according to StatMarket. Search Engines refer only a 7% of traffic. You can find their article here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether paying for submissions or not depends on how your business model is constructed. but Yahoo and Looksmart are definately worth the fee, but before submitting read around and make sure your submission fits their guidelines.

PPC engines too are well worth the money if you make more profit from the hits you pay for. Consider if you sell a product with a $20 profit. If one in 100 visitors to your site buys it then your average profit is 20c per visitor. Anything you do which pulls in more visitors but costs you less that 20c is therefore good business.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every little bit counts especially in the beginning.

PPC can add up quickly however and almost certainly the prime categories will be expensive.

Worth a try and see how much traffic/business you get.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!