SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just started a site not long ago and advertisers have come forward to enquire on the advertising options for the site. I've given them various options without the pricing in the hope of them quoting the price.

However, they replied back asking me to quote a price instead.

The problem is since this is the first time I'm dealing with direct advertisers, I don't know how to price my inventory.

What should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you took the first step in posting on SitePoint. This post should generate a lot of responses.

I'd say make sure you know your content and visitors. How many visitors do you receieve? How many would click on the banner? there are many factors: positioning, etc.

I'm not an 'ad guru' myself, but i figured i'd post to get the topic heated up a little.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best advice is to look at the media kits of sites similar to yours and see what they're charging. You might need to adapt the prices a little bit to cater for varying traffic levels on the sites, but it's a starting point.

You can even under-cut their prices a little to give your first batch of advertisers a good deal.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me a pessimist, or a realist, but I'd suggest that you make them an offer they can't refuse.

With even the top advertising firms struggling to sell low-cost run-of-network inventory, advertisers have (by and large) lowered the rates that they are willing to pay for banner placement. I don't know any advertisers who are willing to pay full rate-card prices anymore, since most established rate card's were formulated during the heady days of 1998-early 2000.

If you are offering run-of-site rotation, your best bet is to find out what your current CPM is (as delivered by whatever agency you're with at present), and double that. If you are offering more specific placement (such as rotation throughout a few key pages), you may be able to command about 3x an ad network's run-of-network price.

Although these are obviously very rough estimates, and will vary wildly depending on the perceived quality of your site nd its audience, they should give you a base to work from.

At a guess, you can probably command about $3-5 for run-of-site banner inventory when selling independently like this.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the rates that similar sites are quoting at theadstop.com

Most of the time these quoted rates are above what someone will actually accept but it may give you some sort of idea. Rates vary enormously depending on the type of site.

For non targetted advertsing a $2cpm rate is quite good these days but for a highly targetted site a $20cpm+ rate would not be unreasonable.

If advertisers are approaching you (and not the other way around) then you are in a good position since the advertiser obviously thinks your site will be valuable to them.

- Simon