SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PayPal & No sign-up Terms

If a customer doesn't have to sign-up for PayPal to pay you - PayPal becomes similar to & more competitive with 3rd party payment processors.

Pbreit from PayPal says the terms are The PayPal user Agreement (While I'm not an attorney, I don't think this is the case. While each pay page has a link to User Agreement, the purchase process doesn't disclose that the User Agreement applies. The 'Complete Checkout' button has text next to it that says "By clicking 'Complete Checkout', you authorize PayPal to charge the above credit card to pay for this purchase from (merchant). ")

And the User Agreement is all based upon being a user and signing up for a PayPal account! There's nothing I see that covers this new process.

It also appears the country restrictions apply to making a payment without having to sign-up - you can't make a payment if you don't reside in the short-list of PayPal approved countries.

What if you have a PayPal account, and want to make a payment via credit card without having to withdraw all funds from your PayPal account? Is it acceptable to use the 'If you've never paid via PayPal?' button to pay with the no-signup version? This certainly is preferable from the customer perspective: with your PayPal account and credit card funding, you give up the normal rights you have to dispute charge with your credit card company - you've got to go through PayPal's dispute resolution or your account is toast. If you've got no PayPal account and pay with the new process - you don't get a password, don't have an account - you've not given up your right to dispute with your card issuer....

Privacy: The Privacy Policy Link on the no-signup page again is based upon "Your PayPal Account".

And to update

this thread - PayPal's no sign-up screen doesn't appear when you pay attempt to use PayPal in Thailand - although I'm told that's not supposed to happen.
    And, PayPal did make it possible for me to access my account from prohibited country without having the account restricted.

-v.Richard-

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm checking with the legal department since I am not a lawyer but will point out some things from the User Agreement:

"This User Agreement ("Agreement") is a contract between you and PayPal, Inc. and applies to your use of the PayPal™ payment service and any related products and services available through www.paypal.com (collectively the "Service")."

"If you used a credit card to fund a purchase of goods or services through PayPal, you may have chargeback rights granted by your credit card issuer."

"The Privacy Policy below governs your PayPal account and any information you provide on this site."
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't let you pay without signing up if you try to use a card that's linked to an existing account, I believe. It's actually really annoying that there's zero way to test any paypal-powered payment systems/sites since you can't pay yourself and I can't use any of my credit cards or bank accounts (they're all somehow linked to my main account).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dan -

sorry about the testing scenario -- yeah, i know it can be a bit of a pain if you have multiple cards linked to the same account. you may want to remove one of them and add it to the other account for interim testing.

we do plan to roll out a "sandbox" environment for testing in a few months... hope to have that available soon for all of you folks. it's been a long-time coming, but we think it will make life a lot easier for everyone.
    - Dave McClure
    http://www.500hats.com
    http://500hats.typepad.com