SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

setting up an online store

I am starting my online store, am new to it but have some very good ideas. as of now, my main concern is with payment security, that is verysign vs paypal, which is best, friendlier and less expensive? How can I make my prospective clients feel confident about my store? Ive found some funny stores online, and wish to build confidence with my clients. Also wish to know of anyones experience with yahoo marketing services. They seem to have a full array of products to set up online stores. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you really cannot compare Paypal & Verisign. Paypal is a third party processor. Verisign offers you a merchant account & the gateway.

As far as yahoo, we have a few clients on there. Yahoo does offer some good marketing. And that is what you pay for. A lot of people shop on there. It depends also on what you are selling.

I would suggest first you get your own SSL cert. And then a merchant account. Using Yahoo willl help you with the above as well. They do offer some pretty easy & quick set up though, I will say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you also have paysystems.com, 2checkout.com, and authorize.net to compare..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wild Boar is correct but keep in mind that authorizenet.com is only a payment gateway & not a merchant account. You will need to look at their reseller's page to get the merchant account & still use authorizenet.com as the gateway.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Adwords

Hi artslp,
    I am new to this forum (descrip in Intro forum) and I do not really have any knowledge about payment methods. But as to advertising and marketing why not try google ad words. You can control your ad and you can change it making it as humours as you wnat, you can also control your budget. You should take a look, out of interest you guys is yahoo marketing along the same lines as google adwords or does it different?

Simon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artslp
    ... which is best, friendlier and less expensive?
    Best,Friendlier and Less expensive. All of these may not be available together. Figure out your anticipated monthly sales and then look at what the payment systems are offering and if
    it will work for you. Friendly for one may not be appear friendly for another instead look at how acceptable it is, reliability of service and how much they support you during fraud and chargeback. There is a lot of information on sitepoint forums
    do a few searchs

Quote Originally Posted by artslp
    How can I make my prospective clients feel confident about my store? Ive found some funny stores online...
    Ask your clients. And avoid the funny stuff other stores do.