SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already had this site reviewed here. I got really sincere answers, so I decided to redesign it cause it wasn't compatible with most browsers. I am in need of sincere answers now too. Please answer!

http://souvenirs.terrashare.com/

Thank you!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that's the site is simple and straight to the point.
    visually, i don't think i like the navigation system. it seems a little cluttered even though you only have a few links. there's some links on the left side and then there's some links on the top right.

this is just a suggestion, but what if you moved the links from the top right (go home, email, and newsletter) over to top left and above the logo? and then put everything from "all sales are final" to the "copyright info" along the bottom of the page?

i'd also like to see the newsletter form located on your site as opposed to being taken to the listbot site. if i'm not mistaken you can place the code of the sign-up form on your pages. same goes for when your buying something. i don't think that a new window is necessary, it can open up in the same browser window. that page alreay has "souvenirs shop" on the top, why not use it?

just a thought, you don't have to do it that way.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

First, to the code. My initial comment is that the code is very trouble free.

<A HREF="http://ad2.doubleclick.net/jump/sonar.terrashare/reach;sz=468x60;ord=66759731?" target="_top" BORDER=0>

This problem occurs twice and will not be seen in the browsers (I do not think) The problem is that the A tag does not have a border attribute. Leaving it there is not going to create a problem and removing it should not. So I would just leave it and if there is a problem, remove it and see if the problem goes away.
    ------------------------
    The accessability tag alt= is frequently not used.
    ------------------------
    iframe is bringing in an alarm that indicates the " ' is not an element. Might want to check that closely on each use of the iframe.
    ------------------------
    <body bgcolor="FFFFFF" topmargin=5 marginheight=5>
    marginheight is not an attribute of the html4 but I have heard that it is needed for NN4. I would leave it. If it does not cause a problem, no big deal. I am saying that I have pointed this out to many and have been told by at least one member that it really is needed. So leave it. But you might want to change the 5 to "5".
    -----------------------

I have to leave this for an hour or so. Let me say that at first glance, I find the site interesting and very nice. I will be able to expand on this later.

Back Soon.

peace

<Edited by edshuck on 01-26-2001 at 08:11 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

While it's hard to top AtomicMonkey's and Ed's reviews, I'll sure try.

My original impression of the site: Way too light. It is okay to have a light-colored site, but what makes it important is giving it contrast. Contrast can be done in many ways: font sizes, colors, tables (borders, sizes, etc), background colors, and so on. There is only one rule in contrast: Don't be a wimp! If things are not alike, make them drastically different. It's the little subliminal things that are CLOSE but not quite the same that make visitors leave web pages.

Also, please note: This review will be harsh. I am in no way bashing your site, which I think serves a good purpose and could be great with some reorganizing.

For starters, you could put the 'go home::e-mail::etc" links right next to the logo for your souvenier shop. This should help greatly.

Perhaps a border aronud the table on the left-hand side. My eyes were constantly drawn away from it. You could also designate your categories (i.e 'Design') With bold / different colors instead of just an underline. Also, try a different font / font size for the first letter.

After that, you could list all the links under the main heading instead of going accross. It improved alignment with the eye. I would also make them bullet points (perhaps with an image?).

The entire web page should be shifted up to be just underneath the banner ad. Users tend not to scroll beyond the first page; you would want to have as much of your content in there as possible.

For the first paragraph: Firstly, I'd scrunch the welcome sign up farther and move the first paragraph still closer to the welcome sign. Once again, this is a spacing issue. Too much white space is not a good thing.

Also, I would remove the pointing finger. What purpose does it really serve? To point users to the welcome paragraph? Trust me, if the content is organized, the users will find their own way to your text. I'm sure of it.

The first paragraph also needs to be larger. I have 20-20 vision and a big monitor, and I found myself struggling to read the text. There should have to be no extra effort on the urser to do the simplest thing users do -- which is reading your text.

Next: Instead of those "MORE:::::::MORE:::::::MORE:::" Links, make a table out of the three images (with a border) and center the more links below it. Not everything has to be text these days, and alignment is a key feature in a web site.

Once again, upon further review, all of your text could stand to gain a few point sizes.

the "PLEASE NOTE" text should be changed to say "NOTE: blah blah blah". All caps has an angry effect on most users, as in yelling.

Copyright and viewing information should be at the bottom of the page, perhaps even below the advertisement. This is unimportant information that is not related to the topic-at-hand. Proximity is important. Put things that belong together together. Remove the SiteMeter to the VERY bottom of the page.

For an example of some of the things i'm talking about, you can visit:
    http://www.interfall.com/Franklin

I hope this review helped. I didn't intend to be harsh, though at times it may have seemed that way. Thanks for bearing with me. I think you have your work cut out for you!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with the oversimplified statements. White is good, but it should bounded in some since, especially if you're restricting the table size to an abosolute width.

The navigation tends to be less then obvious as well.

I appreciate the fact that you're open to critizism and willing to make changes based on it.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People seem to be pretty critical of this site, but I don't think it's that bad...Oh, gotta go, "Yambo" is on on Craig Kilborn!
    -Nick