User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist compwizard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Ghosting Software Recommendations

Hi -

I have about 30 computers (identical hardware) that I need to ghost or clone. Does anyone know of any free software that can do it. Something like Norton's Ghost 2003, but this is for a school and there is no money to but it.

Thanks.
    Compwizard
    "There are 10 kinds of people in this world -- those who know binary, and those who don't."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any threads but I was wondering if you got any replys. I have a similar problem. I am the network installer/administrator for 3 local police departments and as you well know their budgets are slim to none. I tried getting them all to chip in a little to buy norton ghost but that didn't work out so if you do hear of a free one PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankd74
    I don't see any threads but I was wondering if you got any replys. I have a similar problem. I am the network installer/administrator for 3 local police departments and as you well know their budgets are slim to none. I tried getting them all to chip in a little to buy norton ghost but that didn't work out so if you do hear of a free one PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. Anyone?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard there is a way to do this with knoppix/liveCD but I have not tried it myself as I do have ghost handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you will have a hard time looking for Free Ghosting Software. but why not look for sponsors. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hankd74
    Hang on are you telling us that a police dept cant afford $66 for a copy of ghost?

Kili

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, you need more than a single copy here. You need a license for every single computer involved.

On the other hand, one could justify this to the bosses because you will save a hell of a lot of time if you can image drives rather than having to do setups by hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you may do, but in reality I dont know of any network admin that would by a 1000 licences if he's got to image the lot, one copy and use it as many times as neccessary, yes I know what your going to say but thats the way it works, fortunatly I dont use Ghost anymore but on rare occassions all my installs are done by RIS now to 400 workstations.

Kili

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kili
    Yes you may do, but in reality I dont know of any network admin that would by a 1000 licences if he's got to image the lot, one copy and use it as many times as neccessary, yes I know what your going to say but thats the way it works, fortunatly I dont use Ghost anymore but on rare occassions all my installs are done by RIS now to 400 workstations.

Kili
    Network admins who like to make sure the company is not getting sued. It really makes alot of sense for police departments to break the law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used G4U (Ghost for Unix) many times (sorry, too lazy to google it for you). I tried the knoppix thing once, it's not quite as easy as I would like. The nice thing about G4U is that all it needs is a DHCP server to grab an IP address automatically, and an FTP server -- I use FileZilla server on a WinXP Pro box, it's also very easy to setup.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texdoug54
    I had Ghost 03 on my XP Pro machine for quite sometime. Worked great. Then I had some problems with symantec and uninstalled everything that had to do with it. I even went into the registry and deleted all symantec.
    But now, when I try to re install Ghost, it tells me it's already there. Yet nothing shows up when I look for it. Can anyone give me an idea what's up and what to do? Or should I just go get Ghost 04, (ver 9) and install over?

It's a LOT easier lettin the cat OUT of the bag than it is puttin it back in!
    Last edited by texdoug54; Jan 15, 2005 at 12:06.