SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Following a recent design overhaul and improvements I thought I'd test the water with fellow developers.

http://www.rugbyunited.co.uk is a website for a small football (soccer for all you Americans out there) club in England. I have put a lot of effort in and have had some good comments from the public. I would like to know any browser compatibility problems etc. Also general comments about layout and design greatly appreciated.

John Glendinning
    Webmaster:
    Rugby United FC Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple points -
    * The site seemed slow to load. I don't think the file size is an issue, because I'm connecting using a T1. It maybe a host issue.
    * A little confused by your use of frames. You seem to everything within one frame, so I am not sure why you are using them.

The site is functional, but to be blunt, it is rather plain in appearence. Even some pictures of the football team would help to spruce it up.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems with the design found.

But like Westmich said, the site is too plain. There's hardly any design to judge about
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

The site is a bit plain.

One thing for readability is to provide an increase in the color difference between the text at the left and the bg color.

Hi again

There are a couple of code problems.

First, just a question about the marginheight and marginwidth attributes shown in the body tag. They are not recognized in html4. I see this all the time on reviews and wish to know what editor you use. Also, note that they do not seem to cause any problems. Thanks in advance.

Second, There may be a major problem with the following piece of code.

<td height="*" rowspan="3" valign="top" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width="*">

The * is an invalid value for height and width and may have unpredictable results in some machines.

A further comment about the menu. I try and frequently fail to condense the menu to the point that I like.

Thanks for sharing the site with us and I hope you will continue to review. There will be others reviewing but the information we each gain from these reviews is invaluable.

Looking at the frame definition provides the frame tag and the border used is not an authorized attribute.

peace
    <Edited by edshuck on 01-25-2001 at 07:51 PM>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to try and make the menu a bit smaller. It is kind of extremely huge.

Color scheme- need to tune up. Light blue is not very easy on the eyes.

Other than that, I liked the simplicity. Simple is good.
    Good loading time....

Overall 72%
    --
    Coolrandomfree- Download stupid movies and do stupid stuff!
    Coolrandomfree Message Boards

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick point. I noticed some longer stories where you had centered the entire text (history.htm). For readability sake this does not work very well. The eye has to find the begining of each line and when that is in a different spot each time it makes it harder to follow.

Also, when setting long story type in a table, it is a good idea to add cellpadding of 10-15. This creates some space around the story and makes it easier to read.

Centering on the short phrase text, like the sponsor page, is fine. Team page looks good. A few small pictures here and there would be nice.

BTW why do they call Darren Towers 'Barley Mow'.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your input so far. In response to Edshuck's query I use Dreamweaver 3.0, the best WYSIWYG editor I have found.

Some of you have commented on the simplicity of the site. The site was previously full of Flash graphics and had a complicated navigation system. I've changed to this very simple design because due to the slow download time from my ISP (Freedom2Surf).

As Mingham said simple is good. I'm a big fan of simplicity (as you can probably tell). The colour scheme is staying, as that is the club's colours!

Barley Mow is called that because it's the name of a pub he drinks in!

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a little plain too. Nothing that really grabs the eye. I would love to have seen a nice logo that communciates what your site is about. And maybe some icons for links to some of the sections. I dont mean make your site a graphic nightmare ... but sometimes it doesnt take much just to add that extra something to make your site more inviting and make it stick in peoples memory.

I'd recommend looking for another host f2s has really went down the toilet, its one of the slowest hosts out there.

If you'd like me to work up a little logo or something for you give me an email myros@stormsword.com

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I think the site is really easy to navigate. A lot of links and info too. I also agree that the site is a bit plain. Just add more design features there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jurg, Try this color #99CCFF in place of #33CCFF.
    It's a lot closer to the team color powder blue.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts:

I don't like your choice of colors. That bright blue definitely has to go. Try a darker shade of blue.

Also, it's too boxy. Add some curved images to ease the design a little.

Add some photos or graphics to make the main page more interesting.

Add more content and appeal to the main page. It needs to entice and make visitors WANT to stay and see what you have to offer.

You're also missing a quality logo. Plain text, while quick-loading, won't cut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +++++++++++++
    NS4.75
    17" monitor
    24 bit true colour
    1024x768
    +++++++++++++++

All I could view was your home page. Because when I clicked the links in your LeftSide Navigation nothing happened. Probably your servers fault.

->Anyways the site is rather plain. Could use an image or two to add some excitement
    -> The navigation scheme seems too long. Why not divide it into sections of similar links instead of one long list
    ->Can't say much about content as all the pages would not open
    ->
    ->Good Luck!
    Rustam Punja, WebMaster/Content Developer
    http://www.dvwt.net
    Bringing Online Education, Internet Access and Broadband to China