User Tag List

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to ecommerce related

Hi,
    I was asked recently if I knew how to do something. I don't have a clue, with my minimal backend programming knowledge, but I thought I'd throw it up here and see if anyone had any tips on how to accomplish this functionality, or where to start researching a way. The scenario would be that I want a link from my site to a shopping portal. I want to be able to follow a user from my site as they go to the shopping portal, so that it they do purchase, I will know and I can store information about a gift or coupon for them. Does anyone know about something like this being done?

Thanks--

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is possible, but would have to be done (for the most part) on the shopping portal. You could pass a PHP variable in the url string to the portal, who could keep a session open for them as they browsed. If they did complete a purchase or filled out a more info form it could be set to record a transaction and let you know.

I don't know of a way to do it without the cooperation of the shopping portal or other site though...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furryyuri
    Hi,
    ... I want a link from my site to a shopping portal. I want to be able to follow a user from my site as they go to the shopping portal, so that it they do purchase, I will know and I can store information about a gift or coupon for them. ...
    Thanks--
    Tracking is easily achieved by placing a "graphic bug" on every page that needs to be tracked.

If your shopping cart has a banner tracking feature like in osCommerce you could set a small banner (or bug) on each page and it would track the user through the whole process.

There are commercial applications like clicktracks.com that have been created exactly for this and present the information in a nice graphical format without you having to figure out the tracking or you could find a web statistic package on freshmeat.net that your comfortable with. Make sure the statistics pages tracks via javascript or web bug.

You will need some programming if you want to automatically provide a gift/coupon. It is very easy to print out a report of
    your best customers and send it to them from your shopping cart manually.

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks beley, that gets me thinking!

Sadcox, the shopping site would be a third party's so something like clicktracks wouldn't help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadcox, the shopping site would be a third party's so something like clicktracks wouldn't help.
    Actually what I ment was most loaded versions of osCommerce already have these three features.

1.)Affiliate tracking via variable mentioned by bealey
    2.) Tracking by web-bug, graphic in non-php pages.
    3.) Click tracking.

If you do not have osCommerce then I suggested
    a.) a web statistic package from freshmeat or
    b.) clicktracks as just an example there are many more.

PM/email me if you need urls to check out 1-3 in osCommerce
    as mentioned above that you can play with.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks beley, that gets me thinking!

If the shopping cart is not in your control you will never know
    that something has been bought unless you signed up a
    referral and they let you know.