User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb A "Comment my code" forum

Hello,

I was thinking that a "Comment my code" subforum for PHP would be a great feature to have here on the Sitepoint php forum. Myself I'm sort of half way between newbie and intermediate as I'm sure a lot of posters here are as well. At this level you can most of the time write a piece of code that works, but you often ask yourself if it is a good piece of code, if maybe there are functions and techniques in PHP that you don't know yet that could make your code a lot more efficient/reusable/secure.

A forum like this would be a great learning experience and turn us into good coders. Ofcourse the posters should be advised not to post a 500 line script and expect readers to go through it all, but rather posting snippets of code that you want to perform a certain action, and you're wondering if it's the best route to take etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice idea, which I second .

PHP manual bot bronze trophy Gaheris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They IMHO won't create new forums now because there are too many already. But you are welcome to post code snippets, it's just that there aren't enough posts that would require a new (sub-)forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've kicked around ideas for a "code review" forum, but so far we haven't done it because there are already a ton of forums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nocturn5 - whilst I agree that its a good suggestion, Gaheris is right - there is nothing stopping you doing this already in the current PHP forum, but the number of PHP threads per day is very high - adding the code review on top, means very labour intensive for the PHP experts.

Also as the phrase goes there are various ways of skinning a cat - therefore would there be 1 ultimate answer?

Personally give it a shot in the PHP forum see what reponse you get - see if you get good answers or bad and take it from there.

As always keep the ideas coming

Sarah
    Regular user

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I see your point. I just hope I don't post too many "is this ok" type of posts in the PHP forum