SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm working on doing a web page. I'd like to get some tips on how to create a nice template.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pen and paper my friend. pen and paper.
    take some time, sit down, relax, put on your fav music and just start putting possible design ideas down on paper.
    the first few design my just stink but they will make you think and lead you to better designs.
    use colored markers if you have to. you can even go as far as illustrating how a page will look just to get an idea.

try looking at other sites that you like to get some inspiration. (but don't copy, be original)
    you can try sites like :

http://www.coolhomepages.com
    http://www.designiskinky.net

to get ideas.

good luck.
    . . . chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks atomic.
    I should have included what I already got.
    My website address is http://www.tuna-breath.com

I am satisfied with the logo but there is something about the template that doesn't look right. I'd like to get something more attractive, and look more professional. What do you think of having the frame menu on top and left side? I am currently using Photoshop to design my webpage, what are you all using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sinep,

I agree with atomic also. However, an alternative or additional method would be to layout the whole site in Photoshop. That way, you'll see the whole
    look and feel. I use the method and it works out great.
    Good luck.
    <Rocko>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, you have to ifnd a personal way of doing this.
    As it involves designing, you cna't copy someone's method justbased on the fact that wow..he creates good pages..

Good tools make a difference, but you need to have it! It as in the creativity, the colour sense and more.

Even if you have creativity and colour sense, you must note that it may not produce a good design. For example, you created the base of a design which has the potential to be very very good. HGowever, you have no perserverance, like..you are too lazy to make a modification to this minude detail. if you view from a ddifferent pespective, alot of minude details make up one big problem. That is enough to change the impact on your deisng for the worst.

So enough said, my method is simply, open the html editor, start creating tables and let your mouse do the work.
    The ideas and layout etc. comes to mind automaticlaly as I progress..

TIP: if you use my method and you cna't seem to produce something you like, go rst and come back a few hours later when you feel better. that way, it has better results.

In my opinion, the worst thing you should do is copy someone's design, or try to replicate the design. Simple reason, copyright infridgement and the design doens't always turn out the way its supposed to be.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think anyone is suggesting copying anyone else's designs. the idea is to look at good designs to get inspired to creating your own original designs.

it took me about 8 months of observing, surfing, learning, experimenting, designing and re-designing to come up with the final layout for my personal site. a layout that i'm proud to call my own original creation.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..that was just a tip for do-not-do stuffs.
    hmm..8 months? thats alot fo time..hmm..
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i meant like in the course of 8 months.
    i did go to work and school and lived life and everything.

part of the whole process was narrowing the purpose of the site. it started out as being a portal for different types of artists, and it was through the course of 8 months of research, redesign, and rethinking of the whole site that i narrowed down the focus of the site which helped me to come up with the final layout.

i hope that made sense.

i did go through the phase of trying to copy other sites, but what it boiled down to is that it was something that i wanted to be proud of and i wanted to be able to honestly say to people that i designed it myself, so i trashed what i had and started from scratch.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right.
    I get you..Nortiq wbesite has gone through several phrases of revamp and i love the way it is now..
    But mine took about 2-3 months...its still revolving..

Hmm...Yeah.
    I have to go to school too, thats why it took so long.
    -- Albert Einstein

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've redesigned Poplicious.Com three times since it's inception a few months ago. I'm happy with the current layout though, which I'll admit took some inspiration from the way SitePoint.Com was laid out (no, I didn't copy it )

I keep all my old designs online, so I can refer people to them in times like this. If it helps, see http://www.poplicious.com/version1 and http://www.poplicious.com/version2

Version 3 is the site currently in use now. That left corner has still got me though, I know exactly what to do with it but I can't get it to work!

The moral of the story? Keep everything, and don't be afraid to change things completely if you think it'll look better.

Ady

v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fluffykins,

I lvoe your Version3 and yes! the new versions were getting better! LOL

Hmm..However, for my case, I didn't chnage the entire design totally, I just remodelled a few times...the way the details of the page were displayed. I also added some pictures and more.

Someitmes, the switch to a better display was a reuslt of browser incompatibilities...netscpae 4 to be precise =)

And oh...I keep my old versions, just the template offline...to compare my accomplishments? lol..it sure does brighten up your day.
    -- Albert Einstein

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I find to be a god-send it Dreamweaver templates. My whole site is template based, with the page content being in the body of the template. I can change the entire look of the site just by changing one page, and it's amazingly useful.

If you're building a big site, templates (or SSI's if you're not using Dreamweaver) are well worth considering. Considering things like that should be part of the forward planning you put into your website.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..
    Yeah. I use templates too. Not only for the ease of updating, but also to produce dynamic content using php.

If you plan for the future, Its advised to use CSS too. So you can change your styles easily, and have all changes updated for your entire site.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't Netscape have some problem with CSS?
    It might be better to use style tag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what Netscape supports for CSS is sufficient. The incompatibilities arrises only through poor coding and poor table management. Just fix those areas, apply your styles, and check out how it wokrs. Normally, there will be some problems. But there's always a workaround.

CSS is Cascading Style Sheets.
    So I have no idea what you mean by using a style tag.

Thanks
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sinep,
    First get an idea of what you want your site to be about. Then, try doing something like visiting http://www.coolhomepages.com and checking out any sites that might be related to yours. See how they put their's together. Then, run through things you don't want to do. Consider connection speeds. Not everyone in the world is T3. Make a fast loading/cross browser page, and you should be good! Never be afraid to try new things with your page. If your web space provider has CGI or any other capabilities learn all you can about them and really make your site fun. Also, never not have fun with your site. If you aren't having fun with it, dont do it. You MUST have fun. Good luck!!

SR