SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does Nedit compare to jEdit? I was using Zend and found that it was still too buggy on OS X and was starting to annoy the hell out of me. Switched to jEdit and found it was less buggy over all but it suffers from some of the same problems as Zend such as freezing up when trying to do renames on files (i'm going to assume this may be a java on OS X thing). So I was re-reading this thread again and saw the new mention of Nedit and gave it a look. Any one use it and specifically on OS X? How does it compare?
    Erh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dagfinn
    I've considered giving up Vim for a while and using one of these so-called IDEs to see if it's actually helpful. I suppose it would be be good for me--I might learn something--but it's probably as hard as quitting smoking. I can do it for a half hour or so, then the Vim urge gets the better of me.
    Ya as soon as need to:

Code:
    :'<,'>s/;$/";/
    on a visual block selection those gui editors start to seem a little slim in the editor department. Intellisense is nice but once you are set up in vim with tags and dictionaries it works equally well. Throw my 700+ custom php specific abbreviations and maps on the pile and there is no question where I am going be the most productive

culley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by culley
    Ya as soon as need to:

Code:
    :'<,'>s/;$/";/
    on a visual block selection those gui editors start to seem a little slim in the editor department. Intellisense is nice but once you are set up in vim with tags and dictionaries it works equally well. Throw my 700+ custom php specific abbreviations and maps on the pile and there is no question where I am going be the most productive

culley
    Sure. I'm just bending over backwards trying not be arrogant on Vim's behalf, but I'm not succeeding very well.
    Dagfinn Reiersøl
    PHP in Action / Blog / Twitter
    "Making the impossible possible, the possible easy,
    and the easy elegant"
    -- Moshe Feldenkrais

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread caught my eye because I've grown to love the Zend IDE after having been a straight text editor guy for years. (But I don't know if I can continue to afford the upgrade path.) Now all the bells and whistles like breakpoints, watches , being able to inspect variables during execution etc.. are really saving me time in debugging complex pages. These are the features that I thought separate an IDE from a text editor. But I don't see any IDEs mentioned here with those features. Is there such a thing as an open source IDE with these kinds of features?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skipcandy
    This thread caught my eye because I've grown to love the Zend IDE after having been a straight text editor guy for years. (But I don't know if I can continue to afford the upgrade path.) Now all the bells and whistles like breakpoints, watches , being able to inspect variables during execution etc.. are really saving me time in debugging complex pages. These are the features that I thought separate an IDE from a text editor. But I don't see any IDEs mentioned here with those features. Is there such a thing as an open source IDE with these kinds of features?
    I'm the same. I have tried lots of alternatives.
    Eclipse with the PHP plugin is quite nice, but it kept crashing on my PC. I have now given up on it.
    Also tried phpedit. Which is ok, but not great.
    Now i'm trying Maguma Open studio, which appears to have some merit.
    There is also dev-PHP, which may be ok (i havent tried it).

I wish Zend was free, or at least they had a watered down free version, cause as far as PHP IDEs go, IMO it is in a league of its own.