SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finally finished my newest project - http://www.amusingpics.com - and I would like to get your input on the design and other aspects.
    - Colors : I know there's a general rule of design that you should limit yourself to 3 colors. There are 5 or 6 in this design and I think I pulled it off ok, what do you think?

- The logo : my weakest aspect of design is image editing/creation so I kept the logo pretty simple. Do you think what I've done fits with the site and do you have any recommendations on changes to it?

- Text Readability : I tried to make the links to the pictures easily read; Are they too small or cramped in your opinion?

- Overall Design : I was trying to go for something that was original and professional looking, while maintaining a sense of fun. What are your first impressions?

- Ad Placement : Do you think that the ads are placed in places that will be clicked?

- Compatibility : Both browser and resolution. I tried to make this as client friendly as possible. NS displays in almost identical to IE (my versions) but NS takes MUCH longer to load. Do you have any idea on why this might be?

I am also very interested in your general impressions of the site as a whole. If you have any constructive criticisms to offer I would love to hear it.

I am also looking to trade links with sites of similar content. Email me if you are interested.

Thanks a lot,
    Kurbin
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I like the design. Not fond of pop up banners but you do keep them to a minimum.

Point of confusion. When I click the home button in the banner, I go to forbidden and the home button in the menu works. dotforce.net or amusingpics

The color is bright and cheerful and the text is very readable. You might split the border between the menu and center and move half to make it a 3 col page.

Overall design - Clean, very usable and nothing to distract from the content.

Ad Placement - Your ads are spaced to provide a seperate view for each. The one I would be curious about is the bottom. That seems a bit plain, but plain is a hallmark of the page.

Compatibility - Works fine on my machine.

I have no criticisms of this site.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks

How bout a review?

peace

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the site, although I have to say it's similar to many sites. I seem to see another "amusing photos" site popping up every day, still some good pics I haven't seen elsewhere.

The navigation links on the left are big and bold - hard to miss (which is a good point). There are however few internal links, therefore I'd rate it low on content.

The second picture I clicked on "free bugs" did not display. I don't know if it was the link or the picture which was the problem, but it is that sort of problem that's likely to put off visitors.

A couple of times I got the error message:
    "Warning: Failed opening '/footer.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/dotforce.net/amusingpics.com/Popular.php on line 75"

In conclusion I'd rate this site high on design, but low on content. However there is scope for more content, which I'm sure will grow over time!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /*
    Mozilla 0.7, Windows 2000, 1280x960x32, cable-connection
    */

May I ask why you use caps in the filenames? For example, you've got the page "Popular.php" while it would be logical to keep everything lowercase, i.e. "popular.php".

I'd also look into those '/footer.inc' opening errors. You might just have set the wrong path.

The design looks ok to me. It's quite pleasing to see.

A few remarks:
    -The links in the lower green bar on the front page make you think that they lead to a part of the site. I'd put something above it to explain that those links lead away from the site.

-When you view a picture, below it you've put a link ("BACK") which leads to the front-page. I found this very annoying.
    Instead make a link like this:

<a href="javascript:history.go(-1)">

This will return the user to the page he/she came from, thereby functioning as a real 'back' link.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good input, I changed directories on the server and that's why it couldn't find the footer.

I changed the BACK button and fixed the file for "Free Bugs".

Oh and I used capital letters on the files to keep consistent with certain aspects of the database structure.

If anyone else find dead pics let me know.

Thanks,
    Kurbin
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall design is nice, clean and in keeping with the whole "fun" mood you were trying to create. I think that your logo works well, too. Simple, but appropriate.

When I tried to click on the "BMW" link under the "computer" category, the page displayed but that image did not. Clicked around a little, but not endlessly. Didn't find any other link or image problems.

I did notice a few of the images looked like they have been scanned in from newspapers and mags. So I searched around a little on the homepage for copyright info, usage info, etc. and didn't see any. Since your site doesn't claim to be selling or otherwise making these images available for people to use (except to e-mail to friends), I assume all the legal stuff that goes along with, say, clip art sites does not apply here, but I still wonder about copyright. Maybe Ed or someone else can enlighten. Are there any copyright issues?

That and the one broken image link are the only concerns I have about you site, at least as to what I have seen of it. Good job and congrats on your use of multiple colors.