SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question dynamic drop down menu

Hi,
    i would like to know how to build a dynamic drop-down menu. Let me explain what i want.
    There are 3 categories A,B,C which are present in drop-down1. When a use selects category A, it must show the child elements of A, namely A1, A2, A3,..
    Same thing for selection B and C.
    I know that this can be done using javascript entirely, but i dont think it will be compatible across all browsers. is there some other way to do this in php, using server code only.

Thanks

The Restaurant at The End of The Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are seeking to have a select menu updated when another select is chosen without reloading the whole script then you will need to use javascript. PHP is server side so when something is selected on the clientside it has no way of knowing without reparsing the script with the new info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jump
    If you are seeking to have a select menu updated when another select is chosen without reloading the whole script then you will need to use javascript. PHP is server side so when something is selected on the clientside it has no way of knowing without reparsing the script with the new info.
    I was thinking submitting the form using javascript and then populating the child dropdown with the values from an array or somethign. The main point is that i dont want to use too much of javascript which older browsers will not understand.
    If im thinking correctly, a simple "on select form submit" javascript script should work in all browsers.
    Correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should. Not too many peeps using old browsers anymore would be my guess. I really don't have too much sympathy for the "old browser" crowd anyway. It's time they got Firefox anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent used much of firefox, (i just downloaded a copy recently). does firefox have any javascript compatibility issues? Or is all that javascript compatibility stuff a thing of the NS 4 era?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no js problems with todays browsers. I ussually test with IE, Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jump
    I have had no js problems with todays browsers. I ussually test with IE, Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera.
    thanks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone point me to a tutorial which explains how to do that with javascript?