SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have finished my site and forums, and have submitted them to the search engines. In the meantime I would like to know if anyone can give some advise on getting the word out. For instance it's about technology and if there are other tech related sites I can participatre in that would be good.

I read the other thread and use some of the tips there, but I remember there was some type of Link exchange thread here to a site with forums where webmasters listed there forums and others did the same to get people to the site, If anyone can point me in that direction that would be great.

Also any other ways you webmasters get the word out and the forums jumping would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance for any replies....

Louis|Techie
    http://www.techieville.com
    It's About Technology & More

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you can do to get the word out is by using other forums. Requesting a site review here at SitePoint, and eDevBoards, and webmaster-forums, those all bring you hits for awhile.

After that, promote it in your Forum Signature (which you have already done... you might want to add a description/catch phrase) and in your email signature.

Go to other similar sites and request to trade links, or try and find some partners.

Hoe that helps!
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you can do to get the word out is by using other forums. Requesting a site review here at SitePoint, and eDevBoards, and webmaster-forums, those all bring you hits for awhile.
    But don't, whatever you do, spam! People hate that! I don't understand why people go to another busy forum and link to their own! If it was in their sig and they contribute regularly then fine, but just saying (an example of something I deleted on my forum today) "You guys need to check out this board - *** - there are some really clued up guys there!" is ridiculous. Are the regs genuinely going to leave the board that they are happy with to post on an undoubtedly empty board?
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hyperbaseball / OllieO

I appreciate your responses. I will have to look into the site review forum here, to see how to participate. Also This is what I was talking about, I go to board about web stuff and have been posting there giving a hand when I can, so maybe that helps as well.

As you know and I do too Some forums are not that easy to chime in, since most posters have been there from the start, and when a newbie (so to speak comes along) who is not a regular others tend to dismiss them, and continue with the members they currently know.

I dont want to come across as spamming as Ollie pointed out if I just show up and start in with my site. This is why I asked how did some of you build your forums and avoid the "Get out of here" attitude from others.

I will look into your cross link suggestion... sounds like it could be a start. Thanks again have a good evening.

Louis|Techie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've managed to get several people to go to my message board site by participating in other forums with similar subject matter and putting a link to my site in my signature. I don't just go in and post nonsense, either. I try to particupate in the discussions as I would if I didn't have my site listed in the signature.

Some board owners don't like it when a "competing" board is listed in posters' signatures, though. I know it is against the rules at a couple of sites I've been to, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I forgot to mention no spamming. I just kind of assumed it to be true.

Make yourself a credible member of the forums, contribute what you can but don't just request a review without reviewing other sites and introducing yourself. And don't post some many messages about the same thing with a link to your site (like one particular member of these forums... I won't mention any names).

These tips won't just increase your traffic, but you'll 'make friends' with other people that could help you out in the future.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Again for the replies and the tips you mentioned above. I do participate in other forums and contribute, so maybe that will help or at least gain exposer. Well back to building my community, and getting the site going. Thanks guys your responses were very helpfull, and appreciated.
    Louis|Techie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, if your site is popular, your forum will be popular. It just takes time.
    --
    Coolrandomfree- Download stupid movies and do stupid stuff!
    Coolrandomfree Message Boards