SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Zend products are ready for release!! I am already saving money for the commercial license! What do you all think?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of faster GPL cache systems available besides ZEND's. Other than that, the only other product I would see as worthwhile is the Encoder application.

You might look around at other options to increase performance and save your money for other matters.

Take a look at: http://apc.communityconnect.com/ and save yourself $1500+ dollars.

Also look into integrating gZip functionality into your site, this alone can increase download speed of pages by 40%. And is available for free.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the APC web site
    APC was conceived of to provide a way of boosting the performance of PHP on heavily loaded sites ...
    I've searched around the net for the answer to this but haven't come up with much. What is a "heavily loaded" site? ie; up to what point is PHP a viable web application server to the Apache server?

Wayne, these forums and sitepoint.com would have to be an example of a "heavily loaded" PHP/database driven site. Can you give us your experience and some ideas of what type of traffic a php/database driven site handle on your run-of-the-mill-server-farm-dedicated-hosing-linux/intel-boxes? (don't know why I wanted to hyphenate that?)

Thanks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disclaimer: this message contains personal opinions only
    Well personally.. I've HAD IT with Zend ... yes, I might be an Advisor for this board, I might use and swear by PHP, but the guys at Zend arent making my day any better ... guess what, they're ONLY free product, Zend Optimizer, is still not compatible with the latest version of PHP which has been out for quite a while now! ..

and hey, as far as a compiler goes, would you RATHER use JSP and a Java based compiler which cost near to nothing (or maybe nothing) (not sure) ... or code in C / C++ where compilers are GPL ? .. both of the above 2 examples create faster running code than PHP ... $6000 for a compiler does NOT rock my boat... I'd rather buy Oracle, it seems more useful than a really expensive compiler that i'd have to upgrade to often while they make new versions of it... oh ya, and hey, zend compiler doesnt compile your code, just puts it in an "intermediatory state" ... ..

ok, now i'll go back into hiding
    cogito, ergo sum

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think having to pay $50 a year to use the IDE is crazy!!! But I do like the encoder idea, although, anyone with a good knowledege would probably be able to write the same type of app......

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people at Zend have lost the plot I think, their are a great many skilled programmers out there that are going to be writing exactly the same products right now but are going to charge much less than Zend.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are other GPL cache solutions available which would speed up the process just like Zend Cache works.. Zend Optimizer is one thing, however caching helps significantly
    cogito, ergo sum

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    Wayne, these forums and sitepoint.com would have to be an example of a "heavily loaded" PHP/database driven site. Can you give us your experience and some ideas of what type of traffic a php/database driven site handle on your run-of-the-mill-server-farm-dedicated-hosing-linux/intel-boxes? (don't know why I wanted to hyphenate that?)

Thanks.
    Actually I would consider the load at SitePoint and these forums to be light to medium. We don't get near 100% load even with the traffic we have. The reason for this is that we are on a dedicated server with lots of memory.

A heavily loaded site would be something like fanhome.com where their vBulletin currently has more than 1.2 million messages. Bigbigsavings.com is another heavily loaded site. Their forums have been logged as having 800 concurrent members logged in. These sites would benefit greatly from caching schemes and other bandwidth savers like mod_gzip for Apache.

The servers that would benefit from caching applications and mod_gzip the most, I think would be Hosts. Those are the most heavily used machines on the net. The average host can put 200-300 accounts on the same machine. They can do this because most of those sites won't use a lot of bandwidth. However if a high proportion of them do generate a lot of traffic or have dynamically created pages, then they would run out of bandwidth very fast.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks wayne. Do you know if fanhome.com is using mySQL with their vBulletin or would they need something else for so much data >1million mesages.