SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been given the task of updating..severly..my church's website. this is the site
    http://fbc-independence.org/ I have been trying different looks on paper, and when I go to try them on the computer it just isn't coming out right. Mainly I'm wantin to put in a lot of stuff that I just can't do using PSP and FrontPage. If anyone reads this..visit the site and see what you think. I have run out of ideas for this thing. My only other option is frames and i am saving that for my very last option...I don't want to use frames but if i have to i will...thanks to anyone that helps!!

SR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was asked to design a site for my EX boy scout group...never got finished (or started really) but i found that using a picture of the building in the top-left and then lots of lines worked okay.
    Site like churches, chariteis, etc work best with simple homely designs. Dont true to be to flashy!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been suffering with awful designer's block for a site i'm working on for a client at http://www.poplicious.com/~mdtemp. My solution was to look around sites with similar content and see how they laid out their information, then use a combination of the best bits to design the look of my site.

It's currently in it's prototype stage, but I do actually like the way it looks now.

Re. your site: For a start i'd split up all the different bits of information onto seperate pages. That'll then give you some idea for a navigation structure. Then maybe design a menu for the site, experiment with different buttons / links etc until you find some you like.

Change the fonts etc, and streamline the images / links a bit to make them all the same size. You'll probably find if you split up and tidy up the information that's already there, you'll have the makings of a good site.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great solution to designers block (proven by me!) tell everyone you have no aesthetic, design, or any other related taste...then they dont expect you to produce anything all that good...bad part is with me its not a lie!. :-)
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sitepoint community advisors comments are well worth noting. I am designing a prototype site for a new church plant myuself (No http address available yet - obviously). You have to ask yourself what you want to get accross to the church web site visitor?

Actually, before you even get that far you should probably ask yourself "who will be viewing this church web site the most?" (Primary Audience).

My guess is current congregational members. However, you don't want the casual visitor to be lost in the calendar of activities your church has going on either.

you probably want basic information about your church - location, driving directions, maybe a picture, etc., etc. But you also want some info on what is happening this week/month/quarter (whatever) so that you can keep current church members informed as well.

Also, keep in mind the relationship with Jesus Christ that you would like to both remind current church memebersof as well as inform non-christians as well.

- Brad
    Bradley S. Behrens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice.

Well, I have basic information provided by the staff of the church, as well as ideas as to what they and I want to see on the site. Basically, my only problem I'm running into is a logo for the top of the page. The church itself doesn't have a logo, and a web page needs a logo. The only problem is...I'm not too good at making logos. As soon as I get some kind of logo done I will be able to complete the page. Now as for anything else, it should all be real easy after that blasted logo thing.

SR

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For inspiration, I subscribe to a newsletter from moreover.com called "Cool Sites." Every morning I get a listing of 10-15 Web sites ranging from nonprofits to singing groups. You can get very good ideas looking at other people's designs, and it takes a lot less time than surfing to find new sites yourself.

To subscribe, go to http://www.moreover.com/cgi-local/pa...c=Cool%20sites
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice link Joanne - definitely subscribing to that one. Thanks!
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spdrcr,

Most every web developer here has been a victim of "Designer's Block", so you know you're not alone. I couldn't get to your website to give you any suggestions, but since it is a church organization site, I'd recommend that you make it feel welcoming and comfortable. Choose colors like pastels that reflect something inviting and helpful.

Above all, if it feels like you're running into a brick wall over the design, then drop everything and go do something completely unrelated to computers. I've found that this is the absolute best way to get over designer's block. Some of your best ideas happen when you're not in front of a screen!

Good luck!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually a big help to look at a lot of sites in the same genre as the one you're working on. That way you see what you like and what you don't like and see how others have dealt with various problems. If there's no logo, there are other ways you can approach it. For one organization with no logo of their own, I put a well known landmark into the header graphic. Or a very reduced picture of the church would work, maybe taken from a different angle than any larger photograph you might be having.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think most of us have suffered from designers block. Usually what I do to inspire me is visit http://www.coolhomepages.com and browse through their directory. Then I find cool ideas from different designs and mix them together. That usually helps me come up with some cool and original.