SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 2 create customer loyalty in retail products?

How can I create customer loyalty in a product that is the same as what my competitor is selling?

I often read that we should provide great service and personalise service to get customers to come back.

However, in a simple transaction, how can I provide GREAT service when there is no special requests or problems. How can I show that my customer service is great? I know that by being Normal will not let a customer come back.

I read that for car maintanence, the workshop will call up a customer when its time for servicing but I am selling makeup items How can I predict when a customer uses the item and needs more? Any suggestions?

What can I do after a sale? I don't know if I should create a mailing list as I really do not know what to put in it ;p

What things can I do to make customers come back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we provide discounts for repeat shoppers on a scaling basis. During the holidays, and for every gift oriented day (ie. Valentines Day, Christmas) we gift rap the items as a courtesy to our most loyal customers and we also have stenographer personalize hand written cards on the items. We will also split the shipping costs.

For a select few of our customers we will actually go out and get items that they can't find on our site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Thanks for that answer. But 1 problem that I was thinking of. I normally gift wrap all my items.

How will you make the shoppers come back after the 1st purchase? If they don't try you out for a few times, they will not know that you are good and also, its only a few that will ask for items not in the stores (which does not give us a chance to proof ourselves)

Is it good to train customers on discounts? In a sense that if you were to remove the discounts or if a competitor comes in with a lower price, will the customers go over to the competitor?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, what are you selling? It's really difficult to come up with ideas without more info.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    First, what are you selling? It's really difficult to come up with ideas without more info.

Hi

I sell mainly beauty products. Cosmetics and skincare :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go with quick, safe shipping. Many people are still skitish about buying online. If they have a first good experience buying from your site they're more likely to come back.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are buying regular care products you could send them promotions right when their supply is scheduled to run out. Also, make it REALLY easy for them to purchase the things they've previously bought.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    If they are buying regular care products you could send them promotions right when their supply is scheduled to run out. Also, make it REALLY easy for them to purchase the things they've previously bought.
    Be sure to get their permission before sending notices! (especially if sending emails)

Maybe you can have a feature in your shopping cart that says something like "Do you want to be notified of new products?" with a yes/no check or drop down.

Otherwise you risk being accused of spam w/o any defense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way that I know will gain customer loyalty is a good website. Having a well designed website that looks professional, is easy to navigate and totally secure makes a visitor feel secure in placing an order with you. A site that is quickly thrown together, poorly designed and using a shopping cart that goes offsite that looks nothing like where they were before will make a person skeptical whether the business is legit. They may offer discounts and cheaper prices (which may catch the penny-pinchers), but the ones that are looking for a long-term vendor will look for a place they can trust.

Other things which help with customer loyalty (some already mentioned):
    - great customer service. E-mails answered quickly, problems resolved without a hassle, going out of your way for the customer, etc.
    - incentives. You already offer gift wrapping, which is good. How about shipping deals? Maybe free shipping over $100? Or sending a $5 off coupon in the package for new customers? A point system could work too (earn a point for every dollar spent ... once you get to X you get $X off your next purchase).
    - newsletters / e-mail promotions. Have them sign up on your website to receive information and promotions. Send out e-mails when new products come in related to what they purchased before, announce new specials or information ... like "the perfect gift for Valentines Day", or have a special promo code that only those on your mailing list can redeem.

There are lots of different ways. I haven't seen the site, so I can't speak for it, but I do think a good site is a major part of gaining a customer. The other ideas are there to keep them coming back time and time again.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Evangelist Backlinker1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <quote>
    Just go with quick, safe shipping. Many people are still skitish about buying online. If they have a first good experience buying from your site they're more likely to come back.</quote>
    I agree with Jeiam I am still 'skittish' about buying on the web. If i get a fast polite and accurate service from a site then I tend to go back to them rather than take the risk with somebody else.
    Graham
    Regards. Graham
    Buy, Sell, Talk And Learn About Antique British Ceramics.
    Abcir.org -
    Ceramtique.com - AbcirGroupForums.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiem
    Be sure to get their permission before sending notices! (especially if sending emails)

Maybe you can have a feature in your shopping cart that says something like "Do you want to be notified of new products?" with a yes/no check or drop down.

Otherwise you risk being accused of spam w/o any defense.
    I usually only send them email invoices on ebay.

Anyone knows how I can ask for permission in an email? :-)

How can I phrase the question?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put something in your checkout process that says you will send a notice to the buyer when the anticipated end of thier supply is coming up. And be sure to give them someway of opting out of being notified.