SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PayPal: account set up no longer required!

Since this has been one of the most requested features from this board and others, I wanted to make sure everyone was aware that:

Account set up is no longer required for PayPal payments!!

This is initially available to US Premier and Business accounts for Buy Now and Shopping Cart. We are working on International and Subscriptions.

We also rolled out quite a few other major enhancements including http://www.paypal.de , non-alterable buttons and Custom Payment Pages.

For more information, please visit http://www.paypal.com, http://paypal.typepad.com and http://www.paypaldev.org .

We hope this demonstrates how committed PayPal is to responding to customer feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact us with questions and comments.
    Last edited by pbreit; Feb 13, 2004 at 14:56.
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are older created accounts grandfathered in? Because I am about to recieve a transfer and I have not completly set up my account.
    KTM RC8 Forum - Motorcycle message board including KTM RC8 motorcycle for sale secion, RC8 how to's, and technical chat.

SitePoint Evangelist Backlinker1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff.... any idea how long UK recurring subscription sites will be ???

graham
    Regards. Graham
    Buy, Sell, Talk And Learn About Antique British Ceramics.
    Abcir.org -
    Ceramtique.com - AbcirGroupForums.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's awesome. I can't wait to try it out.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    virus, yes, payments to existing Business and Premier accounts will automatically go through this new, signup-less, payment flow.

Backlinker, unfortunately, I do not have information about when International and/or subscriptions will gain this functionality.
    Last edited by pbreit; Feb 14, 2004 at 22:09.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very good news. It's also always nice to see you on Sitepoint, Patrick! Shows that you have a commitment to customer service.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a fantastic news, hope it will be available for european merchants also soon. It will save our customers from signing up hassle that they do not need

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pbreit -
    could you post an actual specific URL that has more info on this - I cannot find anything specific on the URL's you posted in original message.

Since I am currently in a "prohibited country" for accessing my PayPal account, I cannot log in without risking a suspension of my account until I return home.... one of the many complaints I have with your company - the sign-up requirement is also being one. (As well as the requirement to empty out funds in ones' PayPal account before the option of paying with credit card appears....)

Your post seems to indicate that this change is 'automatic' , however, when I go to my pay page, nothing is different - there's still a sign-up requirement.

http://modemsite.com/56k/subscribep.asp
    (I do *not* use the 'subscription' feature of PayPal - the payment is a 'regular' purchase).

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look like it requires a signup to me. I only make it to the 3rd part, the payment page where you enter a CC (all my CCs are already in my paypal account so I can't use it here without it telling me to use my account)... but at this point it never asked me to create a paypal account, just collected address&payment info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    v.Richard - if you already have a PayPal acct, the buyer experience will look the same... however, you can click on the "if you have never paid with PayPal <click here>" button, and see what the non-acct buyer experience looks like...

for more details on this, login to your account and check your Profile settings, under "Seller Preferences", "Website Preferences", and check the "PayPal Account Optional" setting at the bottom of the page under Auto Return.

more info here:
    http://paypal.typepad.com/pdn/2004/0...p_not_req.html
    - Dave McClure
    http://www.500hats.com
    http://500hats.typepad.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To check out the new flow (make sure to go through the new user flow): https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busine...VB2PA&amount=1

It's distinguishable by the "bread crumbs" at the top (Welcome, Shipping, etc.).

Unfortunately you have to go through the whole flow to see what happens. We have a "sandbox" that's just about ready for relase which will enable testing on a test server.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't understand.
    As I said - I can't log in to my account because I am currently in a prohibited country for PayPal - and (having already learned from experience) - if I attempt to log in, my account will be suspended and they will want all sorts of proof of identity, etc.

I do appreciate the URL in last message above, however, it appears to be fiction:
    "Merchants need not do anything to take advantage of this. We have modified the payment process for US Business and Premier accounts automatically." I see where it also says it's optional and can be turned on or off - but, that requires logging into my account, which I can't do until I return to the USA. Perhaps someone at PayPal could check this out, and if something needs to be changed on my account, do it for me!? ?

What I can do is go to my signup page, and what appears is the same screen as always which asks person to create password, and has the 'I agree to accept PayPal's terms' etc.

I am totally confused - this is the text I see when I'm transferred to PayPal to make payment - and have highlighted in bold the fact that the payment will cause person to create PayPal account and agree to the onerous PayPal terms:

Payment Details Secure Transaction

PayPal is the secure payment processor for your seller, Modemsite.com. To continue, please enter the required information below.

Pay To:
    Modemsite.com
    Payment For:
    Modemsite Premium Access: 35 days for $1.49
    Currency:
    U.S. Dollars
    Amount:
    $1.49 USD

Already have a PayPal account?

Select Your Country - Select the country where you live, then click Select

Enter Credit or Debit Card Information - Debit Cards (also called check cards, ATM cards or banking cards) are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo.

First Name:

Last Name:

Card Type:

Credit Card Number:

Expiration Date:

Address 1:

Address 2:
    (optional)

City:

State:

Zip Code:
    (5 or 9 digits)
    United States

Home Telephone:
    Privacy

Email - PayPal will email you a receipt for this transaction. In the future, you can use your email address and password to log in to your PayPal account and view your payment information.

Email Address:

Password - Your password should be 8 characters minimum and is case sensitive. Please write it down.

Create PayPal Password:

Confirm PayPal Password:

Security Measure - Enter the characters as they are shown in the box below. This will further increase the security of your account and the PayPal network. This is not your password. Help?

By clicking "Continue", I acknowledge that I have read and agree to PayPal's User Agreement.

Click Continue only once. It will take an average of 60 seconds for your information to be submitted.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first page shown on your actual site when I click "never paid through paypal before..." button:

Last edited by Dan Grossman; Feb 17, 2004 at 13:55.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the same page as Dan as well. Which is the new flow where sign up is not required.

If you supply the link/button you are clicking on, we can have a look.

I'll check in with our fraud group on your log in situation. As you probably know, we look at IP addresses and other things that can determine a high risk of fraud. My understanding was that we could over-ride that on an account-by-account basis.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies....

The link that gives me the 'sign-up required' payment page would be the same as what others have clicked on - the URL is generated by the script and the only thing(s) that change are the customer's e-mail address, and item amount....

Perhaps the reason I see something different is my present location/IP? IOW, does one have to *be* in a certain country when they are making payment to avoid the sign-up? (As I read it, the PayPal site says the *merchant* has to be in certain country to not require the PayPal sign-up, not the customer?)

And, pbreit , if you could get back to me (perhaps private message) on the login from prohibited country, I would really appreciate it - and may help to change my negative feelings about PayPal....
    The first time I was in Thailand and logged in to PayPal, I had my account frozen, and do not want that to happen again! (That really irked me as people could still *PAY* me, but I had no access to my funds - and the process for restoring my account was quite frustrating and impersonal. I felt like I was being treated like a criminal.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do need to click PAST that page with the e-mail address and item amount from the URL, by clicking on the button under not having a paypal account... that's when the new system comes into play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got a couple of really good pages that I want to try this on. See if it works.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    You do need to click PAST that page with the e-mail address and item amount from the URL, by clicking on the button under not having a paypal account... that's when the new system comes into play.
    I have 2 browsers - one has no cookies regarding PayPal, so there isn't any option about not already having a PayPal account - it gives the page which requires sign-up. (Firebird)

InternetExplorer which has the PayPal cookie - when I click on the never paid via PayPal button, I get the same page as I described originally which is the PayPal sign-up/payment page, not the page which you posted.
    See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would need to observe the link/button that you clicked on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreit
    We would need to observe the link/button that you clicked on.
    https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busine...ewhere.invalid

gives me:

Payment Details Secure Transaction

PayPal is the secure payment processor for your seller, Modemsite.com. To continue, please enter the required information below.

Pay To:
    Modemsite.com
    Payment For:
    Modemsite Premium Access: 35 days for $1.49

Currency:
    U.S. Dollars
    Amount:
    $1.49 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Already have a PayPal account?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select Your Country - Select the country where you live, then click Select

-- Choose a Country -- United States Anguilla Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Brazil Canada Chile China Costa Rica Denmark Dominican Republic Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland India Ireland Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Luxembourg Mexico Netherlands New Zealand Norway Portugal Singapore South Korea Spain Sweden Switzerland Taiwan United Kingdom

Enter Credit or Debit Card Information - Debit Cards (also called check cards, ATM cards or banking cards) are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo.

First Name:

Last Name:

Card Type:
    Visa MasterCard Discover American Express
    Credit Card Number:

Expiration Date:
    010203040506070809101112 2003200420052006200720082009201020112012

Address 1:

Address 2:
    (optional)

City:

State:
    AKALARAZCACOCTDCDEFLGAHIIAIDILINKSKYLAMAMDMEMIMNMOMSMTNCNDNENHNJNMNVNYOHOKORPARISCSDTNTXUTVAVTWAWIWVWYAAAEAPASPRFMGUMHMPPWVI
    Zip Code:
    (5 or 9 digits)
    United States

Home Telephone:
    Privacy

Email - PayPal will email you a receipt for this transaction. In the future, you can use your email address and password to log in to your PayPal account and view your payment information.

Email Address:

Password - Your password should be 8 characters minimum and is case sensitive. Please write it down.

Create PayPal Password:

Confirm PayPal Password:

Security Measure - Enter the characters as they are shown in the box below. This will further increase the security of your account and the PayPal network. This is not your password. Help?

By clicking "Continue", I acknowledge that I have read and agree to PayPal's User Agreement.

Click Continue only once. It will take an average of 60 seconds for your information to be submitted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, this is only available for United States paypal accounts.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hven't been able to reproduce what you are seeing. Is anyone else getting that page?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm setting up a link and trying to test it.

Looks like the first screen is user address, info, etc.

Putting this info first, before CC info, will cause us to lose some customers. Could we get CC info as the first screen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shipping and sales tax are still a problem. Man, I wish I run through a dummy order to see how it would all play out.