SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Looking for a review of my computer game website. Up until two days ago I had a black background with a all gray color scheme. After reading a post here about sites with black backgrounds I threw some color into the layout. I received an email yesterday where someone said that my site was purty. Did I over do the color some? If so what alternate colors could work with the blue?

The page is 24KB right now, but should drop once I consider myself finished and clean it up. The advertisements from cj.com are killing my load time I'm sure so I doubt they will stay. So I'm not really looking for loading time comments.

What they say is right about content is king. Now that I have some I have been getting a nice flow of visitors. So the last thing I want is to make drastic changes as this is how I lost my visitors to start.

Thanks for your comments.

http://www.dirtsims.com
    Scott Harrison
    Site Webmaster
    Game Development
    ----------------
    www.dirtsims.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott

Welcome.

Home page: I like the checkered logo. The entire logo is nice.
    Left col: Clean, very nice contrast between the white font and both the header gray/blue and the black bgs.
    Right col: Same with nice radio button poll tool.
    Center: Why is top left and bottom left curved and top right and bottom right not?
    Question: Can you add a "refer this page to" piece.
    News: Under construction.
    Tutorials: Looking forward to the paint help. Let me know when it is out.
    OK, the populating of the page is in progress.

The work is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good layout. I assuming its just the layout because a) the links don't work and b) their are visible edit links that allow me to edit your content.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great design. Everything was easy to find and understand.

I liked the use of color it really helps to segment things visually. I don't think you overdid anything. The color combinations work well together.

My only suggestion would be to move the extreme tracker logo below your copyright line and out of the main area. In its current location under your navigation a user would probably wonder 'hmmm what's this? (click)'. Just my opinion.

I agree with Ed's comment/question about adding a 'refer a friend' link.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I want to say thanks for being positive.

Digitetal,
    Thanks, the tracker has been moved.

edshuck,

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a "refer this page" script installed from before, just neds updating. About the curved corners, there is a set on each side. The right curves are on the opposite side of the right navigation. About the under construction thing, you mean a place where I post what new things I have coming to the site and what I'm working on? If so that sounds like a good idea.

westmich,

The site is active an fully working. I just indexed the site through Atomz.com an it found one bad link on an old news page that I nolonger use. Could you be more elaborate on why you say no links work? And where are you finding edit links? You mean an open directory?
    Scott Harrison
    Site Webmaster
    Game Development
    ----------------
    www.dirtsims.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your design fits snugly into my 1024x768 screen, a major plus point as I personally like to see a minimum of wasted space on a site (like when I view most sites designed soley for 800x600).

Your left-hand navigation is simple yet effective. You seem to have gone a bit overboard on the Commission-Junction adverts though, which lets the site down a bit.

Your Atomz search engine is well integrated, although it could do with a bit more branding (logo etc...)?

For content I can't fail you. There's bucketloads, probably too much for just one visit!

In conclusion - a very good site with lots of content, yet too much space (and bandwidth) used for advertising!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Thought I'd put in my two cents.

I must say, this is an excellently designed site. Phenominal layout. Let me guess: you're not a beginner?

One thing that caught my eye: Perhaps you should either round out the other side at the top of the white area, or make the left-hand side straight. This is confusing to the eye. Same shape, different color, it all blends together.

What's not to be positive about on this site? it's wonderful!

Another important note: I would suggest that you install password protection on the site IMMEADIATELY as a trop priority. What if someone just happens to surf to your web site? boom...trashed. It's not a good feeling. Yep, definately password protection.

The bar at the top that has the date and, on the right, a description of the site, is great. Too many web sites do NOT have this. It's a great way to let people know what you're about.

Instead of the 'general information' page, i'd call it "about us". Instead of the page having an e-mail link, I'd suggest an about page, or at least an HTML form.

Hope this helped! Keep up the good work!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website is fast and simple which is always nice. You also have good content up. The only thing is that it seems a bit generic. I have seen too many similiar looking sites around the net.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good... except I think you should add some space between the links on the left side and the edge of the browser. Add some photos or graphics to liven things up a little. Other than that, it looks good.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***** SPECS *****
    Browser: IE 5.5
    Connection: 640k/640k DSL
    Monitor: 17" @ 800x600 True Color
    ***** SPECS *****

First off, the two white colors at the top of the page for the content area are jagged. You just need to anti-alias those buggers and you should be fine. Actually, all the rounded corners you have are jagged.

Secondly, there are a ton of line breaks at the bottom of the page after the counter. Just a small little bug.

Thirdly, there are a number of pages (Models for example) that are completely blank. I would recommend at least putting up "Under Construction" text or turning off the links to those pages for now.

Fourthly, the menus look unorganized to me. I think you can solve this problem by simply adding a graphic bullet or something. There are some pretty cool graphic bullets at http://www.dingbatpages.com.

Besides that I like pretty much everything else. The logo is good, though it could be better. Maybe making it more "3D" and more "curvey" would help. Another idea is working in a model of a car. That would give the logo it's own personal feel.

Oh, one other thing: the content area of the pages are pretty dull. Little things like graphic bullets and pictures would spice it up a little. I understand that the page is pretty new, and so you probably just threw it together.