SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: mySQL help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mySQL help

I bought the "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" by Kevin Yank and I have followed the directions for installing MySQL on my computer but I am still haven't a problem.

I downloaded MySQL 3.23 and I unzipped it then I ran the Setup file and I installed call the files to C:/Program Files/mysql. After it installed the book instructed me to locate the my-example.cnf file within the folder I installed MySQL and copy and paste it into C:. The problem is I can't find the my-example.cnf file. Could somebody please help me?
    Visit my site...

http://www.ritechdepot.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own the book, but you should be able to utilize one of the .cnf files in the 'mysql' directory:

my-huge.cnf
    my-large.cnf
    my-medium.cnf
    my-small.cnf

Depending on your particular needs (which I'm assuming is to learn PHP / MySQL atm, not running a mission critical MySQL server), you should be fine with choosing either 'my-medium.cnf' or 'my-small.cnf', which you would then copy over to c:\my.cnf.

In the installation directory there should also be a 'Docs' subdirectory. I highly recommend you read the included 'manual.html' page for full details on setting up MySQL for use with Windows.

I also highly recommend trying MySQL v 4.0 rather than 3.23, which is out-of-date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I had the same problem with MySQL 4.0.20d on Windows XP Pro / IIS. The cnf files weren't there after installation. Here's how I fixed it...

In your mysql bin folder (c:\mysql\bin) execute this file by double-clicking it: winmysqladmin.exe

It asks you for an optional username and password, once you click "OK" (or whatever the button says) it will create your my.ini file with the correct environment variables and put it in your C:\WINDOWS directory. It should work after that.

Hope that helps.