SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between local and online files?

Hi all,

I created a css template locally, then coded this into a php application which uses Smarty for templating.

Viewing the local static HTML file I used for the source works fine locally, but once uploaded and parsed throuh php, the sites breaks.

Locally it is fine in Firefox and IE (there is a small issue in Firefox but that is irrelevant), but once online there are particular differences in both IE and Firefox.

Firefox misplaces the footer, and in IE it makes one of the divs too wide which causes it to wrap down to the next line.

I compared the source of both the online and offline versions and there is nothing obvious (there was an extra </div> but fixing that makes no difference).

The only thing I can think of is either whitespace, or newlines in the code (why does that affect layout?), but I canniot spot it.

Attached is a version of the OK local code, and online please see http://www.startoutinbusiness.com/buy&sell/ in both browsers.

As I am using the same browser(s) for local and online browsing I cant spot any (if there are any) css issues.

Thanks

Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan,

The online version has a missing closing div that is causing all the problems.

There should be a closing div straight after the table.
    Code:
    </table></div>
    That should solve the problem.

Paul

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul,

I did a div count and I was sure there was 24 open and 24 close

Can anyone tell me why the footer div seems to wrap upwards under the lefthand navigation In Firefox filling the space under the left have nav with #b3bcce; when it should be #fff as specified by the #frame selector.

Thanks

Dan

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    HI Dan,

I think you've already answered that in your code except you have the line misplaced.
    Code:
       <br clear="all" /><!-- without this little <br /> NS6 and IE5PC do not stretch the frame div down to encopass the content DIVs --> 
     <div id="footer">dfgfdgdfg</div>
    The clear needs to be before the footer not after it otherwise moz won't enclose it.

Paul

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see, thanks. The code is from Glish so I did not code that myself unfortunately!