SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dreamweaver question

I am currently using dreamweaver and it's a great program. However I am running into a major roadblock. I tend to work on 2 PCs (one at work and one at home) when working on a site. At work Iíd be working on the site and then when I get home Iíll transfer the edited files from the morning to my home PC. Because of that, my files are sometimes out of sync. I try to remember all the files Iíve edited, but sometimes forget to copy certain files and by the time I realize that, I have to redo the changes all over again.

My question? Is there an easier way to sync my files between the two PCs with Dreamweaver? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third party app is the best route. "Second Copy" gets my vote. Allows you to set up directories to synchronize, copy and so on with a click.

Then there's this: http://mm-exporter.joexx.de
    Last I'd looked, free. Excellent app for backing up *all* DW settings and files, and restoring them. Maybe it will do what you want as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered uploading all edited pages to the server, then downloading them to the machine you're working on? That's what I do.

You could also try the "synchronize" command from within Dreamweaver. That will tell you which files are newer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the Check In / Check Out feature in DW.
    You can also make notes to the files in DW.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do use the synchornize feature as the biggazillakilla, keep in mind that you have to synchornize your local pc time with the server time first, for it to work properly...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll have to go with the server suggestion. It's just that sometimes I use a customized DLL and not suitable to put up on the host until it's finished. But I guess I'll get one of my old PCs out of storage and use that as a server.

Thanks again!!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Robocopy mainly because it's faster and seems to be more robust than Dreamweaver's synchronise tool. However either would work, really.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark