SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I would like a review of my website. I tried to do some kinda freaky stuff with the arrows on the right side and I would like some comments on those as well as the rest of the design. Thank you very much.

http://esportssection.ifroggy.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

on the code there is just the usual attribute stuff, but then the links are dead for now. so that is a non starter for me.

looks great. so i had to did. compulsive, ya know. and the only thing that might be mentioned, is the 3rd col wher the headers below the top are just a tiny bit jammed with the item above.

headline name
    :topics

thats all and it is not much.

peace

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top left rounded corner doesn't fit perfectly in the cell... there's a small line sticking up top.

800x600
    Opera 5.02
    Win ME
    Cable
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good. Maybe you could add some color or something to the logo, eh? Also, on the menu navigation bar, add some space... it looks too jumbled together. Lastly, the curved corner at the top left needs to be more curved.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall the site is well thought out and organized in a logical manner. Good work.

Now for the critiques. I saw the corner problem can be fixed pretty easy. But don't stress on it. The bigger problems are also not that big but here they are:

1. There is no tag line for the site. I sort of pick it up from the url, but you should re-enforce why your site is special in a few short words.

2. In the upper nav links you should put a space after the last word to create some air between the white letters and the edge of the blue background. In the current position they run together.

3. Same thing on the section navigation. Perhaps you could put the links in a another table with some cellpadding maybe 2 or 3 pixels. The vertical space is OK except where the links are sitting on top of another major section header. The above solution will handle this also.

4. Again the spacing on the features on the far right could a couple of pixels from the edge.

BTW the arrows look pretty cool!!!

IE 5.0 1024x768 16M Win98 Cable
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the opinions guys.

I will be making some changes and I'll repost when I do.

At suggestion of CJ, I think I am going to change the arrows and use sports icons.

Thanks again, you guys were helpful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just changed the right navigation from the blue arrows to text. Please let me know what you think.

http://esportssection.ifroggy.com

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IFroggy,

Firstly, I'd like to say that that is a well-designed layout.

I'd like to suggest switching the headlines column and the other column to the right of it. Switch them with each other, and see how it looks. My eye tends to wander to the right column first before looking inwards. Perhaps that's where you would want the headlines.

Under the title (eSportsSection), it says 'Sport Sections'. How about making it 'Sports Sections'. Better yet, Just plain old 'Sections' or Leagues would work.

To Strengthen your design, and give it repetition throughout the page, you may want to change the first letter of every headline (i.e 'Sport Section') to be the same as the 'e' in 'eSportsSection' (up top). This would be nice.

I also reccommend adding a spot of a centered banner above ESS Today.

Whoa...I just saw the 'Enter the Forums!' link. Now, why would that be over there? Put it on your left-hand menu, and perhaps make it a button (graphic) accross from your logo, right-aligned. It would look a little better than plain text, and would be more noticeable.

Also, how come the Right side of the page isn't curved the way that the left is. Do them both, or not at all (in my opinion, you need repetition - the strengthening and accenting of certain design elements in your pages).

This may seem a little harsh, but the truth of the matter is that I liked this web site! Keep up the good work, froggy!
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you "goober."

To address your points:

There is already a forums link on the left menu, I decided to add that one up thier to make two. It gives it 'repitition' and strengthens the design.

The right side of the page isn't rounded because I didn't want it to be rounded.

Finally, the name is iFroggy.

Thank you for your time.