SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urgent CMS Advice

Hi!

I've just been assigned a last minute project and I need to write a proposal (to be presented tomorrow evening!!!). A local business group runs a small portal site and would like some way of easily updating content, have a members only area with file downloads and a way to allow each individual user to have a homepage.

My thoughts were to implement a CMS, but there are so many around and I have no clue as to which one to chose, and writing one is out of the question - as I'm not too familiar with php/mysql. Money isn't much of a problem for the group (obviously something within reason)...

Another thing, the CMS will have to run on a Windows IIS server... Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

- Kimberly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this is a difficult subject because there are so many to choose from , and
    so many of them are free.
    Check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/ .. YOu can play around with a bunch of different free ones there. I've played around PostNuke before, and it looked OK. Most of the php/mysql based ones should run on windows as
    long as you have php and mysql installed. But I don't know how many good web hosts there are out there running windows boxes with php/mysql set up.

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

We've got our own servers here, it took a while to get both php and mysql working but everything's ok now.

I've already had a look at opensourcecms, but haven't found anything just yet.

Any further ideas welcome
    saileyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at Mambo. It is flexible, and modular. It should do all you need.
    Your mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.
    (HH The Dalai Lama)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillijam
    Have a look at Mambo. It is flexible, and modular. It should do all you need.
    Looks excellent, but somehow their server is slow as molasses! I went there last night and this morning on DSL at home and T3 at work, and on both the site is so slow to load pages it's like my connection is down or something. Sometimes up to one minute for the pages to load on the site. It's not graphics....must be server prob. or something.

Maybe they are swarming with traffic. Seems very popular.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mambo or Typo3 seem to be big names at the moment.

If PHP/MySQL isn't a requirement, then Plone is one of the most complete out-of-the-box CMSes I've seen recently - www.plone.org
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark