SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Best way to make poster in photoshop

I have to make a poster for a class, so I want to make it look nice with photoshop, whats the best way to do this, by this I mean the size of the file, how to print it out in multiple pages and cut it to fit to make one big poster, I am clueless on making posters or anything that is bigger than a regular paper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would us adobe Illustrator, you can do everything in vector format, print it up on a normal piece of paper, then hand your professor the disk if he want's it full size, Or take the .AI file to a printing place that would support it.

The thing about vector is you can resize it to any size and it won't loose any quality.
    Do you have news? Want it published?
    Visit http://www.w3reports.com -Daily News for Webmasters
    Get FREE News for your site by clicking here

SitePoint Evangelist CapitalWebHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big a poster?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    umm, this isnt for a computer class, i have to print it up myself, and im not paying for someone else to do it, hence why I posted here. And to top it off, I dont have illustrator, soo, that'd be why I asked for how to do it in photoshop. Any size really, probably size of normal poster board, which Im not sure how big that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kyle. Maybe this link will give you a little inspiration. I recommend using A4 (8x17) for your poster. It's big enough to be considered a poster, and you don't have to worry about cutting and pasting (unless of course, it's required) for printing. Anyway, the automation tools (for PS 7 and above) come in very handy for projects like this .

Good luck.

http://www.edigitalphoto.com/eUniver...311edp_create/
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ok, I dont think I needed the tut for that but thanks, Thanks for the dimensions too, I think I am just going to use the dimensions of regular postar board though. Now, what you mean by "cutting and pasting" is the printing of X amount of pages to get the full poster? This is my problem, I need to know how to go about printing these so that I can use a paper cutter and put each page together on the poster board. I know that you could just drag the image around in the print preview area but it wont give you the exact results of the poster enless you spend a ton of time examining which pixels it ended at, so that I know which to start printing at.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i promote my own club night and often have to produce posters and flyers. i simply use the Photoshop A3 preset, give myself guides 1cm in from each edge, then start designing

or are you talking about billboards? like a big roadside billboard?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Designing big print stuff in Photoshop is painfully slooowwwwwwww, even on a very fast computer, just so you know.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Ding Fries are Done! inter4design's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use illustrator...and it only costs like $10 to get it printed at a quick service printer like Kinkos
    DoesItMatter
    - anyone seen my underwear?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    gah! OK, I am aware that I should be using illustrator, I dont have it, and I am aware that I should get it printed at a shop, but I am not going to, so, please answer my question...
    Is there a wat to print these multiple pages withut useing a hit and miss on the movement of the image(in print preview)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Wolfe
    gah! OK, I am aware that I should be using illustrator, I dont have it, and I am aware that I should get it printed at a shop, but I am not going to, so, please answer my question...
    Is there a wat to print these multiple pages withut useing a hit and miss on the movement of the image(in print preview)?
    I suppose you could create guides every 8 inches across and 10 inches down (about the printable size of a piece of paper), flatten your poster layers, copy and paste each "page" to a new document and print them out. Then cut off the borders and put it back together.

One recommendation if you are going to adhere it to a posterboard, use some form of spray-mount to stick them on. Using regular glue or a glue stick will wrinkle the paper and make it difficult to get the edges lined up and near impossible to keep the edges down.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yup, I have some spray glue, I used it for my science fair project last month. Thank you, I ithink I will do what you said in splitting it up into sections on different documents.