SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We desperatly need a simple directory script

We have built a web site with search engine, bulletin board, email form etc.
    We can not find a script that will allow us to use categories and hyperlink them to the html page titles in a directory.
    Examaple.
    We have a category called "Machines".
    When a visitor clicks on "Machines" we want to return a list of the page titles in the directory "machines" and have them hyperlinked to the html files in the "machines" directory.

Can anyone help us?
    Is it possible to modify a search script to do this?

We are presently using an index creator and a text replacer which is a slow and clumsy way to do it.
    JimD

<Edited by JAD on 01-21-2001 at 01:11 PM>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Eric Raymond's perl script Sitemap. It's at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/sitemap-1.13.tar.gz and an example is at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/sitemap.html .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need a custom script too..

Do you want it in CGI/Perl or PHP?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe I have not made myself quite clear.
    Perhaps I can explain my need another way.
    When using a search engine such as, "Matt's Simple Search", found on,"Matt's Script Archive",keywords are entered in a form.
    The files in the assigned directories are searched and the page,"Titles",are returned as hyperlinks to those files.

Can we eliminate the form and link a search.pl file directly to a directory title and return all the page titles of all the html files in that directory?

Another solution if possible would be to eliminate the form and have the search made on a preassigned string in the $files= ('directory/*.html'); variable.
    Then we can include something like "!!MCH" on each page in the "Machinery" directory to accomodate the search.
    This would probably,in my uninformed opinion, require a search pl. file for each directory and that is O.K. for our small site.Each file would only require abot 8K times 30 directories would only be 240K.

Also we would like the results to be in alphabetical order.
    Is that a major change?

You must realize by now I am a novice at perl programing.

In answer to "qslack" Eric raymonds script is close but doesn't hyperlink the titles directly to the files without the file names.

In answer to "lynlimz" I may,very well,need a custom script. If so it would have to be in perl.

I can not tell you how grateful we are for the help you have already offered and any you may still provide.

Jimmy Dolan

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Eric Raymond's script is close, then why not just edit or have lymlinz edit it so that it does what you'd like? There's not much reason to reinvent the wheel after it's been done by ER.

Just a thought...tell us how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..I'm quite confused as to what you need..( maybe my brains malfunctioning..=) )...but if you want to eliminate a form, you can use the url like:

http://domain.com/search.pl?keyword=blahblah

and it'll return the results. Thats assuming the script can read query strings.

If you need it in perl, maybe I oculd lend some form of assistance..I'm more comfortable with perl than php

thanks
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein