SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would appreciate any feedback that you can give me about http://www.adswappers.com -- I am particularly concerned with design, layout, navigation, and funcitonality. Since this is a site targetted at webmasters, I would also appreciate any feedback that you can give me about whether the services would be useful and what improvements I can make to the site from a functional perspective.

I know that the body of the front page looks pretty bad and I was wondering how I could improve the layout of that page, in particular. I am not a graphics artist, and the services will use significant CPU and bandwidth, so I want to ensure that the HTML/CGI pages are relatively small and quick to load. Even the largest page (the account management screen) is under 30k including all graphics. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can improve the site's appearance without making the pages too much larger or more complex.

Thanks for your time,
    Lenny

(mods: last 3 reviews--Artbeast.org, c-wod.com (My Personal Site), MyCoding.com) -- please remove before posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design:
    The overall layout isn't bad, however, some specifics about your graphics give the impression of less then professional. Lose the animated satelite dish and globe. Also, at the top, to the left of the login, the curve is jagged and blurred. You should probably rework this. The gray, rounded corner at the top right has a white background. It doesn't appear to be the intent of the design.

Code:
    Ed may do a more thorough job, but I wanted to point out a couple of items. You appear to be using Front Page. FP likes to create style by adding code on a paragraph by paragraph basis. To tighten your code and make your site easier to maintain, go with CSS instead.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AdSwappers.com

Welcome to SitePoint. My review will be mostly comments about the code. These comments are the results of two or three capabilities of Hot Dog Pro 6.x The review is based on html4.0

So here we go.

<meta name="description" content="AdSwappers: The Best FREE Advertising Exchange. Drive more traffic to your site with our "beyond-the-banner" programs.">

Lose the " " around the beyond-the-banner.

<p align="center" style="word-spacing: 0; line-height: 150%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">

Browser support for these attributes for the p tag are relatively poor (compared to the use of css or other methods).

There were very few errors evident in the code, in fact the only one seemed to be in the meta.

peace

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --------
    Opera 5.02
    Cable Modem
    800 x 600
    Win ME
    --------

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't find the site incredibly attractive. The graphics look amateurish and the animated satellite dish bothers me. I would definately change the fonts from Times New to either Arial, Verdana, or Tahoma.

The graphic corners don't look too professional either. Sorry to majorly put down your site, but I don't think I would sign up for your service if I had the choice.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the transition graphic to just go from dark blue to white instead of having the intermediate color that gave it the blurry effect. I have also eliminated the satellite and globe images, but I still do not like the way the text is presented. I was wondering whether there are any better layouts/fonts that I can use for the main text on the front page.

I actually intended to keep the corners of the grey frame rounded. I see your point about the top right (and both bottom) corners, and I will consider changing the white of those graphics to match the blue of the outer frame--leaving the corners rounded but having them merge into the right color.

I also removed the "s from the description tag--oops.

As far as CSS is concerned, I would rather not limit support to 4.X versions or above. The benefit to CSS is that it would reduce the size of the page and eliminate those obnoxious <p> tags. Are there any good CSS tutorials or programs that would let me convert a template made using old HTML tags into the new format?

Thanks for the feedback.

Lenny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's OK, I appreciate the honest feedback. I changed the corners to merge into the blue color and I eliminated the ugly Impact font and animated gifs. However, I find Times much more readable than Arial--maybe it's just that I've grown accustomed to using Times in word-processing programs...

I still feel as if the front page is not very attractive. Do you have any tips for how to create a compelling layout for the front page?

Lenny

Originally posted by HyperBaseball
    --------
    Opera 5.02
    Cable Modem
    800 x 600
    Win ME
    --------

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't find the site incredibly attractive. The graphics look amateurish and the animated satellite dish bothers me. I would definately change the fonts from Times New to either Arial, Verdana, or Tahoma.

The graphic corners don't look too professional either. Sorry to majorly put down your site, but I don't think I would sign up for your service if I had the choice.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be beating a dead horse, but take ideas from other sites. When I'm developing my sites, I look at the pages I go to to see what they have, how they look, etc. I take the parts that I like, change them so that they aren't exactly the same, and develop my own style into it.

You have a good base of a design. Most of the corners look fuzzy on my browser (meaning the sides aren't smooth). And, as I said before, Times New just doesnt attract me. Do what you feel is best for your site, but just giving you my honest opinion. Even when I go to Yahoo! I think they should change their font.

There's no reason why you can't have something to the left and right of the text in the main box, just not that animated pic. Whew.

Hope I've helped some, let me know if you need some clarification on anything.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with a lot of what Jason said. And something is ... missing. That big white space in the bottom left is a sore mark.

Also, the curved image on the top right is a little fuzzy. Could you use some work, but you're off to the right start.