SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Streaming audio

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help! I mean...help, please. I haven't made a streaming audio file since Real Audio was kind of a new thing. Now I'm going to need to get a couple of song samples up on the web. I'm not knowledgable about audio at all, on or off the web, but it looks like I'm the one that has to do this. When this band gets as far as putting finished MP3s up on the web, we'll find someone who knows what they're doing. But this is just for songs from a demo cd. I looked at the Real Audio site and the free downloads. The non-free ones are a little pricey for this purpose. Is Real Producer the best thing to use in this circumstance? Or is it actually the only thing to use? The only thing that really bothered me was that it said that you needed RA8 to listen to it. I guess that means that people who use Windows Media Player wouldn't be able to hear it? I figure most people who do use Real Audio probably do upgrade it, so I'm not so worried about older versions of that, but is it the only standard now?

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have to understand that RealAudio/Video and Windows Media Player are sort of competitors, so they don't play each the others format. The best thing to do would be to have both a RealAudio and a Windows Media Player version available; such as CDNow does. Most everyone has one or the other.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks..I didn't realize that. I can play lots of things on either, but it's not something I've really gotten into. Now, I have to find out what I need to create something for Windows Media Player. Going off to try to find stuff on the Microsoft site now.