SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Feedback please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This is my 3rd redesign of my site. This time the site looks totally different.

The old site looked like:
    http://www.talkwrestlingonline.co.uk/Old/old.html

The New one looks like:

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com

I would appreciate any positive/negative comments on the site.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i definitely like the design of the new site better for one.

i'm not too keen on the background image. coupled with the way the text is presented, it's a little hard on the eyes. i'd suggest to choose a color scheme that is a bit lower in contrast.

overall i think that the nav system works fine. i didn't check the code since you asked about the design aspect. the main thing that bothers me is the color scheme. other than that i like it.

good luck with it.
    . . . chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kamran,

Well first of all the background is wrong for the site. It makes me think of those newbie sites people build at HomeStead.com. It's distracting as I found myself looking at the lines thinking why? If anything take it and darken it. Then make a header table at 95% wide to put the logo and flash banner in it with a black background. Then make another table(90%) for your content with a white background. Change to black text for this table. Your navigation could probably work the way it is, but see if you can widen it some.

I also wanted to recommend this article. I just read the other day that told about fonts and how to use them right.
    http://www.designsbymark.com/bannertips/bantype.shtml

As far as your third design, well that's what mine was like on my third try except I was using aqua lined background and orange links.
    Scott Harrison
    Site Webmaster
    Game Development
    ----------------
    www.dirtsims.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kamran

I liked the last one and I like this one.

Some suggestions.

The home page is centered and lookin good. But then the later pages tend to want to stay on the left.

There is one page that goes to white and that is really hard on the eyes, coming from a darker bg.

Same for the yellow in the refer me.

Another responder mentioned that the bg was wrong for the site. How about a wrestling program, or pictures of early greek wrestlers or other memorabelia - wrestlers on coin or stamps?

I like the page.

peace

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major problem displaying the site using netscape 4 (800x600). The page content displays below the left hand navigation and poll, making the user have to scroll down to find anything.

I don't like the use of multiple colours in the competitions section. The text in the news and rumours section overlaps the orange border of the table on the left hand side, you may have to think about changing the border width.

On the plus side you have a good complete set of links, and some of your features such as the quiz are interesting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the new site is much better than the old site.

There are a few problems. One is the color scheme, it is kind of nasty and not good looking. Green and yellow and blue and grey and black etc do not go well together. You should stick to some simpler colors.

You should also try and get rid of some of the unnecessary graphics to make lower loading time.

That's all.

Overall: 63%
    --
    Coolrandomfree- Download stupid movies and do stupid stuff!
    Coolrandomfree Message Boards

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quickly reviewing a couple of pages, you might want to consider picking one font for your graphic headers. The font that you are using for the homepage section headers is intended for larger use. The tiny serif's start to look like fuzz at that size. I notice on the inside pages you got a little more consistant with the big font.

Throughout the site the font changes from page to page as well as the background color (not the graphic). Having these two items change so frequently is rather unsettling and makes the site seem disjointed.

Also check every page. Some are centered and others are aligned left or not aligned. You have done a good job keeping the navigation consistant, try to expand that consistancy to the other elements of the site.

BTW. Ed, this isn't old school wrestling its Stone Cold Steve Austin v. The Rock.
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i like the new one you have done its much better than the old one

nice use of flash, it looks good, but the loading time was high on 56k for some reason it maybe a problem with my connection?

anyway good improvement over the old one..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your new design. It looks really professional. I like the font you used on your colored headers. That's a pitty I don't live in any of those countries so I could win some prizes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback,

Personally I quite like the background, I've given the option to the visitors of removing it or not - so far everyone wants it to stay.

I know not all pages are centered - thats my fault, I was in a rush to get the re-design up in time, so I didnt centre all the pages.

With Netscape I think you have to be able to view flash (as that top banner is in flash), thats the reason it pushes the site to the bottom. I will probably remove the banner soon anyway - so that problem will be fixed hopefully.

The reason there were quite a few different fonts was a problem with my old computer, plus with the redesign, it complicated things. But I have started to give the all the pages similar styles i.e. font/headings etc

Thanks again for all the great feedback

Kam

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should definately change the background, for some reason the bg image and all the use of black makes it look like an unproffessional site. The flash banner up the top is nice but if you are going to have a banner make it a .gif so everyone can view it (even though I'm a flasher)
    Other then that the 2nd site is much better then the 1st!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've changed the flash banner at the top, with some other banners, could you tell me if the page takes long to load?

I moved the flash banner to the bottom of the page.

Kam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your new site looks a heckuva lot better than your old one, and matches the theme more.I have but one thing to suggest: Put a submit button or link with your poll. If a user has a muscular convultion or something at the last instant, or clicks the wrong name for one reason or another, they're stuck with their choice. But if you have to click submit, then you have a margin for error.$0.02
    Ed Rands

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the last design the best. I found the font a little small, wrestling is supose to be loud and in your face. It looks good to me but then again I am not a picky person. What b-Board sytem are you going to use?Reviewed with17'MonitorCable internet conection32 bit colorIE 5+1024x768Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the phpbb board for my site, which I'm very happy with.http://www.phpbb.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kamran

I have heard from many members about the effect of multiple nesting. And am most currious about that on this site.

But in any event, Jurg has a good point. If it does not work in Netscape 4, then it needs to either be fixed or noted that it is best viewed in.... I would prefer to find a solution to the problem. There was a posting the other day that may be useful.

Be right back.

Ed