User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

If you have followed my thread in 'Web Design Forum', you would have noticed I have some problems with my page. Now its fixed and my graphics optimized.

http://www.frozened.com

I need your opinion on the load time, content and anything you can think of.

Please critique my forum too

http://forums.frozened.com or http://forum.frozened.com

Thanks !

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello zhchua

Here's what I'm reviewing your site with:

IE 5.0
    Win 98 SE
    640x480 resolution
    56k connection
    Javascript On

It loaded extremely fast and everything fits together nicely. One of the things you might want to look at is the grammar throughout the pages: "There will not be many page(s) in this new website...focus on our site objective until the need arise(s)" Run the HTML document through a grammar checker if you can, and that will help spot a lot of the errors.

I like your logo and slogan, but I was actually expecting something a little more...well, frozen! Maybe some blues along with the black can help liven it up a little. Also some tech photographs relating to your stories couldn't hurt.

Good luck with your site!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    i like the design of the site and the forum. very clean and simple. easy on the eyes also.
    load time was fairly quick.
    i viewed the site with:

IE 5.0
    win2k
    1024 x 768
    cable connection

i thought that the main page was a little longer that it needs to be. i don't think that you necessarily need to put whole articles there. perhaps start off the articles or news and then link to the full version with a "read more" link or somthing.

i'd like to see the ikonboard logo in the forum replaced with a logo of your site.
    i also noticed a broken image that was linked incorrectly. i believe the image is "upleft2.gif".

other than that i like the site alot. best of luck with it. just remeber to have fun
    . . . chris

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5
    Windows 98
    1024x768
    44000 bps connection

The front page loads quickly and looks really cool to me. As Sparkie said, grammar needs to be checked and, Yes, that is VERY important.

As for the forums: They aren't too bad, pretty much your standard forum. They are a little dull and maybe could use different icons. Maybe integrate the colors of the homepage. (Charcoal, light grey, and that limish green is a cool combo.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great comments !

atomicmunkey : I cannot seem to find that broken image. Could you give me a screenshot or a rough indication on where it might be ? I searched in my UltraDev and Notepad.

Sparkie: I'll work on my grammer

ifroggy: Thanks for the comments on the forum, I'll work on it.

Thanks, any other comments ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the headlines working

refresh http://www.frozened.com

I'm not trying to make posts short

As for the forums, I added a forum graphic.

Comments anybody?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i'm having a little trouble with getting you a screen capture so hopefully my description will help.

if you go to either the "archives" page or the "about us" page and look at the top left corner. above and to the top-left of the logo. i'm seeing a broken image.

i checked it in netscape also and it's still missing.
    check it out and let me know if i'm hallucinating ok?
    . . . chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed it !

Tell me if theres anymore problem

Thanks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YESSSS !!!!
    i like it... i like it alot.
    woohoo!!!!

i mean, um..... yeah... it looks great. i can't find anything else that bothers me about the site.

again, good job
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man i sure like those green links!

the first thing i noticed was the lack of <title></title>.
    actually you have got one but in the wrong place... the browser doesnt show it on the top bar... frames perhaps??

personally, when i want to go to the frontpage i always aim for the logo... so why not make it a link?

and lastly, if your interested put alt=" " at least on you logo...

keep it up. looks good to me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point...

I'll do it. (alt tagging)

I'm using Zoneedit thats why I'm stuck in a frame. (redirection for my domain)

Anyway, I'll be getting my own IP address soon, so that should be fixed.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh btw, what do you guys think of the content ?

Should it be like the one in http://www.pagn.net/frozen/index.php...0165824,27556,

or

like http://www.pagn.net/frozen/index.php...0040909,41984, ?

Need ur opinion ?

Or should it be even shorter?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed the alt tagging

all the logos will bring u back to the main page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've put too much on the front page (> 60 K). It took a while before the page was displayed.

Instead of displaying the complete news on the main page, consider providing news on different page with news headlines being displayed at the main page.

You may consider putting up the news of the same date in subfolders in the form of 2001/01/20 .. Year/Month/Day ..

This would help you in future, because your news archive would be organized from the very first day.

And I have another idea for promoting your site. Because, it is applicable in your case ONLY. So, if you're interested, please contact me at info@driveseek.com.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice sites
    .:nemexis.com - net resource center ~
    http://www.nemexis.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.0
    Win 98 SE
    1024x800 resolution
    56k connection
    Javascript On

Very nice, clean site. Charcoal, white and black with green trim is a subtle and easy on the eyes. Graphics are all understated, elegant, and cleanly and professionally produced.

I would maybe look at targeting your green HOVER style to particular links, rather than applying it site-wide as it is. For example the rollover effect produced when you touch the 'FORUM' link at the far right lacks a touch of polish.

The load time is fine, but I would definately look at 'fanning your content out wider' rather straight down so far as you are. Attention spans are going to ensure that few people get more than 1/4 of the way down, so you might need to find another way to help people find the content that is currently lower down your page. SitePoint is about 3 page scrolls and some people objected to that. You're around 20 scrolls on my monitor.

Otherwise it's impressive. Well done.

Alex
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

I use:

IE 5.5
    win2k
    1152x864
    256kps cable connection

The site looks very nice and runs very fast but the first page is toooooooooo long... i need 29 scrools (pgdowns) to see all the content in your site...

Try to put only the most featured news and head titles in the frontpage with links to full articles... it will work better and the people will really read what you have to say...

Keep the good job with your site!
    Valter Santos

rooco is my creature (a mix of a bear with a kanguroo)... he is trained in perl, PHP and is getting a java certification right now

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too Long ?

I had put a headlines on the front page so that users can click directly onto the 'article' that they want.

I can't make every news page a seperate page as its more of 'grabbing' other site's content and announcing it.

Any suggestions ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Wonderful job.

-----------------
    <input type="image" src="images/go.gif" border=0 alt="picture button" name="image" width="50" height="25" >

The above piece of code has unknown attribute width and height.

--------------
    When the project is ready to post, consider activating the alt= and the other accessability items.

thanks for sharing

ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again!

Categorize!!! this is the word for you...

Put everthing in various topics, so that you can put the frontpage a little small...

Valter Santos

rooco is my creature (a mix of a bear with a kanguroo)... he is trained in perl, PHP and is getting a java certification right now

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zhchua, imposing a bit of hierarchy is the key. You have to make things really easy for your users by saying 'This is the really important stuff I have for you'.

To draw an analogy, think of your news items like 'high fashion'. The newest, coolest stuff (A-List) is what gets the crowds excited. They always lap that stuff up and pay good money for it. You need to get your best 2 or 3 items into your shop window where the 'passing trade' can marvel at how new and groovy they are.

Last week's fashion is still OK. It might still sell, but you wouldn't risk obscuring your new stuff by crowding it into the front window. Prominent racks inside the store where 'lunch-time browsers' might find them will do fine.

The older stuff, however, is strictly for the 'bargain bin'. If it hasn't sold by now, chances are it's not going to be contributing significant income to your store. Stick that stuff right down the back end of the store.

At the moment all of your content is kinda jammed into your front window, a bit like an antique store. Fun to pick your way around if you have lots of time, but not ideal if you only have a short lunch break .

Maybe something more along the lines of 'The GAP' would would work better or 'Frozened'

Applying this idea to a website might mean :
    • 'A List' content gets the full treatment. Larger text for the heading, some icons, maybe a graphic and a full paragraph of explanatory text.
    • 'B List' content might get a prominent header and just a single sentence of text, but no graphics.
    • 'C-List' content has only the header text in a reduced font size and is presented as little more than a list for really bored users.

This treatment would massively reduce the length of your page, which is a theme that is picked up in a few of the posts above (vsantola, DriveSeeker atomicmunky), yet should make little difference to the click thrus.

Obviously these changes are more of a long term strategy than a couple of HTML tweaks, but I think it is the biggest single development you could make to the site.

Anyway congrats on the work so far and good luck

Alex
    <Edited by AlexW on 02-04-2001 at 08:29 PM>
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see that viewpoint but, its hard to implement it considering the fact that I'm on a 80% table width.

Making the width in pixels would make old screen users scroll horizontally.

The thing is, I cannot do a seperate page for each news and each of my news are usually very short cos they are extracts from other sources.

Were you talking about "Slashdot" style ?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a bit like slashdot, although I personally still think think they work to far off the bottom of the screen.

A better example might be wired news (http://www.wired.com/news/).

They push their newest story at the top in big, bold letters, and a paragraph of blurb to hook the reader.

This means return visitors instantly know there's a brand new story because the biggest text on the page is different from last time they were here.

Next, they step down to their next 8 newest stories. The headers are smaller than the 'feature article' but the blurbs are the same.

Beneath that have 15 links off to other stories on other sites. These links are nothing but a title and a credit line.

Three clear levels of priority. Heaps of options to click on (actually 10 more than Frozened) but only 3 to 4 pages of scrolling.

Doesn't matter so much about pixel width.

Make any sense ?

Alex
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is way too much stuff on the front page. Who is going to scroll and read it all? This is a lot like slashdot, maybe you should have some "slashboxes" for older articles.
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slash bots ?