SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Please check out http://www.c-wod.com. I started up this site last year but didn't really start on it until this Winter. I just made a new design. I would appreciate any advice or comments regarding the design and the page itself. I would appreciate any constructive criticism. I am pretty happy with the design as of now but I know it could get a lot better. One problem I have is that I have no experience in graphics and they are seriously lacking from the page.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your color choice on the site - the green logo and dark grey look nice together. But there's so little green from the neck down that the color scheme on the majority of the site is grey, black, and white (a little bland). Perhaps you could add a dash more of the green in other areas.

Oy vey! Wait a second There's some major horizontal scrolling going on. I didn't even notice that you had another column to the right with a quiz and site news. I see in your "about me" section that you have a 19" monitor. Not me! I'm using a 800x600 resolution monitor, and I really don't like to use my bottom scrollbar You could probably use percentaged tables and eliminate that problem.

s-p-l-e-e-n-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is very simple and clean with a nice choice of colors.

However, you should try to make those "curves" a bit more prominent and consistent. For instance, you have a curve in the top right area for the text (white area), but it's missing in the top left area for the white area... (make sense?) Well, just try to round *everything.*

Otherwise, a very nicely done site. Good job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I personally would choose different colours as the pages seems a bit dull. I usually try and use bright colours (but thats just me).

I think you need something else to go on the mainpage, maybe a little introduction to what the site is about and a little information about yourself.

You should also try to fit the page, so that it would fit on anyone's screen. I never would have noticed the stuff on the right hand side otherwise (like the poll etc).

Hope that helps

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first, make sure you page displays completely at 800x600.

Next, add more color to the site. The current design is a good foundation, now you need to the decorations. This could be as simple as colored borders and a good color scheme with the fonts. Since you don't have great photoshop skills I would try and avoid it completely. Bad graphics are worse than none.

There are several colors that work well with that scheme. see http://www.sclegacy.com for some good ideas.

I hate frames, surfers hate frames, and search engines hate frames. Unless you are required to have that frame there for some reason, take it out. It breaks the flow of the whole site.

I would remove the 3 buttons below the hit counter. No reason to promote Microsoft for free. The Add Me;Promotion button is cryptic at best, and you could find less obtrusive hit counters.

Have more content on the main page.

Kurbin
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black text is too hard to read on the dark gray color, change that.

Why do you have two "site news" parts? One on the side and one in the center - decide where you want it and use it there.

Your curved corners are too small, make them bigger.

Just my thoughts.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to brighten up the site a bit now. And make it look better on other resolutions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listened to a lot of your suggestions. I removed some of the 88x31 buttons and got a smaller counter. I also made the page work better with 800x600 resolution. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can add some more green to the layout and also, I need some more content on the main page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the left nav bar: color coordination is good, links are easy to read, and the color change when selected is implemented well. However, the page is unbalanced, all of your content is located in the nav bar (or on other pages). Try to place more content on the body of the front page to introduce people to the site and draw them in.

Since you have to deal with the NameZero frame, you should ensure that all of your content can be viewed without scrolling. The contrast between the black background of your page and the white of the NameZero background is slightly irritating, so you want to ensure that no scrolling is needed to view the site. I noticed that the "vote" button extends slightly beyond the end of the page (1152x864), so you might want to eliminate some of the whitespace between the "Affiliates" sub-menu in the nav-bar and the poll (and reduce the overall number of links) to ensure that everything fits.

I like the overall design, but I think you need to place more content in front of the visitor as soon as he enters, if you want to keep him on the site.

Lenny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks alot. I'm going to start to work on that problem now.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres a big nasty problem with your NameZero frame in Opera. It doesn't show the correct things... all it has is lines of code!

That's probably not something you can deal with, unless you use a frame breaker of some sort.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works fine for me in my Opera. Only thing I see wrong is my tables are a bit off.